17 Best Hot Tub Filters Available Online (And How To Choose The Right One)
Are you looking for the right way to clean your hot tub?
Do you find yourself feeling dissatisfied with your current filter?
Are you a new hot tub owner feeling a little lost and confused when it comes to keeping your water clean?
No matter what the reason, if you have a hot tub, there will come a time when you need to buy a hot tub water filter.
Hot tub filters are an important part of any spa system. They help regulate the quality of the water that enters your spa, and they can keep debris, dirt, and other items from floating into the pipes and causing damage to the pump and inner workings of your hot tub. They might even be the most valuable part of your whole hot tub, so it pays to replace them regularly.
You might feel a little overwhelmed choosing the right hottub filters for your specific model, but don’t worry. It doesn’t have to be a complicated challenge to shop for filters for hot tubs. If you need more information to help you get started, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know about 17 of the best hot tub filters available on the market today. You’ll be able to choose the right filter for your specific model, and you’ll be able to compare hot tub filters by size, function, and power as well. You’ll find filters that work for just about every hot tub imaginable, including older models that might still be serving you well. You’ll even find some ceramic filters on this list if you feel like making an upgrade.
By the time you’ve finished reading, you’ll know everything you need to choose the right filters for hot tub use in your home. You’ll never have to wonder again about whether or not you’re buying the right product.
Now it’s time to get started learning.
SPOILER ALERT... Here are our FAVORITE PICKS:
Last update on 2018-07-22 at 00:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
When it comes to hot tubs filters are one of the most important parts of the whole system. These reviews are here to help you choose the right type of filter for the kind of hot tub you have based on size, frequency of use, and more. Remember, when choosing your filter, it’s always a good idea to head outside and measure your existing filter first before you go shopping. That way, you can easily compare the dimensions of every filter you look at with the one in your hot tub to make it easier than ever to narrow down your options. Of course, if you have a hot tub that doesn’t have a filter installed already, you can look up the same information in your owner’s manual.
Choose the Unicel 4CH-940-2 Replacement Filter Cartridge when you are looking to purchase a brand name product that you know is backed by a lot of customer satisfaction. This filter is available either as a single replacement, a two pack, a four pack, or a very affordable six pack that can help you save a lot of money. It features plenty of pleats to make it easier than ever to catch debris and bacteria without it ever reaching the water in your hot tub.
- High-quality product that is backed by a well-known brand name.
- Higher pleat count is better at keeping your water crystal clear for much longer than other products.
- Durable plastic and polyester construction can stand up to a lot of use.
- Unicel filters are more expensive than other replacement filters on the market.
- May not work well with very hard water.
- May show signs of staining over time if your hot tub is very grimy.
Are you searching for a great microfilter replacement for Waterway and similar hot tub brands? If so, try this popular Pleatco filter right away. This filter can be used with a variety of different hot tubs, and it’s designed for use with pop-up spas specifically. It can provide you with an affordable alternative to many other microfilters on the market today.
- Designed for use in conjunction with other traditional filters, but also works well on its own in certain types of hot tubs.
- Features a large surface area that allows water to pass through quickly and easily for the best possible filtration.
- Durable, reinforced media threading and plastic casing keep this filter from becoming easily damaged even with frequent use.
- Smaller filters like this one may be difficult or even impossible to clean well, so it might need to be replaced more frequently.
- These filters are smaller and can’t do as much work as larger filters, so they can be a costly addition to your spa.
- Some hot tubs aren’t designed for use with microfilters and might not be compatible with this type of filter cartridge.
When you need a little extra protection for your water, reach for the Guardian Pool Spa Filter and let it do the hard work for you. This filter features an antimicrobial filter media that is sure to trap just about any bacteria that might threaten to make its way into your spa. It can easily replace many Unicel, Pleatco, and Rainbow brand products, and it works in many hot tubs.
- Very affordable alternative to other similar products, especially since it’s available in a three filter pack.
- Features a large filter area that allows as much water as possible to filtered quickly and efficiently.
- Easy to install and replace when the time comes with a few quick motions.
- Pleating may be difficult to clean, as it can be hard to separate fine pleats by hand for regular rinsing.
- Fine pleats may also cause hidden pockets of debris and dirt that may not get washed, causing backwash into the spa.
- Paper filter media is not durable enough to hold up to repeated use and may need to be replaced much more frequently than other filters on this list.
The 6473-165 Spa/Jacuzzi filter is an excellent and simple option for anyone looking to replace the filter in a hot tub, pool, or both. This is a larger filter that’s designed for use with specifically larger hot tubs. It can work in modern spas made by Optima, Sundance, Majesta, Capri, and much more. This filter is made by Pleatco, which is a leading brand in affordable replacement filters, so you know you’re getting a good quality item when you go with this one.
- Works well with many modern hot tubs from popular brands, making it a good near-universal filter option.
- Features a durable plastic casing that can hold up to a lot of wear and tear without showing signs of damage.
- Fitted with a hollow center that allows plenty of water to pass through easily.
- Does not include a built-in handle, so may be more difficult to install and replace than some other models on the market today.
- Filter media is not reinforced and may come loose with use over time.
- More expensive than some other filters in the same level of quality that you might find.
Sometimes, a brand name you can trust goes a long way toward helping you choose the right filter for your spa. Go with the Unicel C-8465-2 Replacement Filter Cartridge when you want to rely on a tried and true spa filter brand. This very durable, large filter can be used with many different Unicel-compatible hot tubs. It is a very efficient and powerful filter that has proven time and again to be ablet o remove even the toughest substances from spa water.
- Made by a trusted brand name that is known for providing top-quality filters at a reasonable price.
- Designed for extended use up to a year with proper maintenance and cleaning at regular intervals.
- Able to hold up to frequent use and cleanings, even when soaked in strong chemical cleaning solutions.
- May leave a small gap and not create a strong seal between the filter cartridge and the housing unit.
- More expensive than other comparable filters on the market today.
- Must be purchased as a two-pack set from this listing, which further increases the price.
Save a lot of money when you go with this 4 Pack Lot of Filter Cartridges. These cartridges can replace products made by Filbur, Rainbow, Unicel, and Pleatco, as well as many others. They work in several different types of hot tubs as well. These are longer filters than some of the others listed here, so if you have a very short filter housing unit, they might not be the right option for you. Despite their size, they are very light, and they can be installed and removed easily.
- Designed to quickly and simply pop in and out of place in your filter housing unit.
- Feature fine pleating to catch and trap bacteria and debris with ease.
- Interchangeable with many different, more expensive products on the market today.
- Must be purchased in a four pack, which might be too costly for some hot tub owners.
- Filter media is not reinforced and may pop loose with extended use.
- Plastic casings for the filter media are not reinforced and may degrade over time with exposure to chemical water treatments.
Choose the No products found. when you want a very high-quality product that is sure to last a long time to come. This brand name Sundance filter is designed for use with all of the Sundance hot tub products made in the past few years, and may even work with older models from this company as well. This powerful filter is made to last for over a year if you pair it with regular cleanings and hot tub maintenance, so it’s a very affordable option in the long run.
- Cuts back on the amount of maintenance needed by reducing the use of extra filter pieces.
- Excellent, durable construction that can stand up to a lot of exposure and use over time.
- Designed to be used for well over a year when coupled with proper cleaning and maintenance.
- Only designed for use with Sundance brand hot tubs, and may not be able to be used with all of these.
- Cannot be used in conjunction with microfilters or other types of additional filtration.
- May be difficult to clean as the pleats in the filter media are harder to separate by hand.
Pick up this Pool Filter 2-Pack for Swimming Pool and Spa use if you’re looking for a very low-cost alternative to some of the most popular brand name filters on the market today. This filter is made by Aqua Kleen and can easily replace Pleatco, Filbur, and Unicel products, as well as some others. It features fine pleats to catch as many bacteria as possible and a reinforced plastic casing.
- Great option for anyone who doesn’t use the hot tub as often as others and would like an affordable filter that won’t go over budget.
- Available in a two-pack to make it even easier for you to save money in the long run with this filter.
- Great at trapping dirt and debris in the fine pleating of the filter media.
- Might be much lighter and flimsier than some of the other filter models available on this list.
- May not be able to be used with harsh water treatment chemicals or soaked in powerful cleaners.
- These filters do not last as long as others on the market and will need to be replaced more frequently.
If you have a hot tub with a filter cartridge that’s difficult to find a replacement for, you might need to go with these 2 Replacement Filters for Lifesmart products. They can also work with hot tubs made by Simplicity, Bermuda Spas, and Hydromaster, among several others. These are a unique size that might be harder to find among other filter cartridge replacements, and they’re very affordable too.
- Very easy to install and remove with just a few simple twists and no tools required.
- An affordable alternative to other filters, particularly since it is available in a two-pack set.
- Easy to use with a wide variety of different hot tubs across the board.
- Because the threading on this filter is on the outside, it adds about an inch diameter that might make the filter not fit into some hot tubs.
- This filter does not feature an additional reinforcement to keep the pleating from coming loose over time.
- Plastic casing may flake or chip over time and float into the water of your spa.
Choose the PSD125U C-8325 FC-2790 Sundance Comparable Pool & Spa Filter when you want to replace filters in slightly older hot tub models. Although this filter touts its ability to work with Sundance spas, you can also use it in Montego, Capri, Altamar, and other older spa brands that were sold during the later part of the 1990s. If you have an older hot tub, do yourself a favor and check out these filters today.
- Excellent option if you have an older spa that can be difficult to find replacement filters for.
- Easy to clean by simply opening the pleats by hand and rinsing in between thorough soaks.
- Durable enough to use again and again with cleaning.
- Much more expensive than many other filters on the market today, including some that do still fit older models.
- Filter media may pull away from the plastic casing over time with exposure to harsh pool chemicals.
- Because of the fine pleats, stains and problem areas may be hidden without a close examination at cleaning time.
Are you looking for an OEM spa filter replacement for your Sundance brand hot tub? If so, look no further than this high-quality filter replacement. It’s made by the Sundance company and works well with many of the modern-day products made by this brand. This filter, like all of the Sundance filter products, features a durable, reinforced threading on the cartridge media and a strong plastic casing that will never become damaged by the chemicals in your spa.
- This filter is made by a brand name manufacturer, which means it always is backed by a product and customer service guarantee.
- These are powerful filters that remove a lot of bacteria from the water and can be used with fewer harsh chemicals.
- Filter media isn’t prone to shredding.
- May become weakened by frequent cleanings and might not hold up as well as other filters.
- Because it is a brand name filter, it is more expensive than other models on this list.
- This filter cannot be used with any products other than Sundance brand hot tubs.
If you find yourself searching for an affordable way to stock up on plenty of ceramic filters, try this pack of Hot Spring Spas Tri-X Spa Filters today. Ceramic filters are unique in that they work much like a pleated filter and look like one, too, but the media is made of ceramic instead of the usual polyester. This makes these products much more durable than their counterparts, but may also cause the price to go up significantly as well.
- Very easy to clean by simply rinsing with a garden hose or running through the dishwasher.
- With proper cleaning and hot tub maintenance, these filters can last for several years.
- Very resistant to rips, tears, and other damage from extended use.
- This is a much more expensive alternative to traditional filters and might be too costly to purchase all at once.
- Filters for this listing must be bought in a pack of five, which makes the cost even higher.
- These filters may not be best for use with very dirty or frequently-used hot tubs.
If you prefer to try a ceramic filter for your hot tub without committing to a five-filter pack, you can purchase this individual HotSpring Tri-X Filter instead and see what a difference a ceramic filter can really make for your spa system. This high-quality filter is designed to hold up to repeated use and easy washing without the need for a lengthy, damaging soak. Although it is designed a bit differently than traditional cartridge filters, it works in more or less the same way and is interchangeable with many traditional filter products.
- Very easy to clean by rinsing with a garden hose or placing in the dishwasher with some detergent.
- Made to last for several years longer than traditional polyester and paper filters.
- The plastic casing is designed to stand up to a lot of use and won’t flake or chip.
- If the filters aren’t packaged well, they may arrive with cracks or other damage and will need to be replaced or repaired.
- May need to be rinsed more often than a traditional pleated filter to keep dirt from backwashing into the spa.
- Might be too expensive, especially for spas that require the use of two filters at a time to function properly.
If you have a Watkins brand filter in place in your spa already, this OEM Filter Cartridge is a potential good replacement that can save you a lot of money. This filter is designed for larger spas that require bigger filters, so if you have a big hot tub you might be able to use this one. It features a reinforced plastic casing that will help keep the blue plastic pieces from breaking or chipping and floating into your spa water, which in turn keeps you safer and cleaner with extended uses.
- Designed to hold up to repeated use and plenty of cleanings and soaking before it needs to be replaced.
- Pleats are held in place well and aren’t prone to popping loose over time.
- Easy to clean by simply parting the pleats by hand and rinsing with a garden hose.
- May not be compatible with every type of hot tub, particularly if yours is a smaller or inflatable model.
- Thin filter media may tear or rip with repeated use and might need to be replaced more frequently than other filters.
- More expensive than other, similar filters available on the market.
Choose this affordable five-pack of Guardian Pool Spa Filters if you have a pool, a hot tub, or both that ordinarily use filter cartridges made by the Unicel or Watkins companies. These filters are interchangeable with many of the products made by both Watkins and Unicel, and they work nicely in many different types of hot tubs. They feature reinforced threading for the filter media so you never have to worry about the pleating coming loose and becoming ineffective, even with frequent use and cleaning.
- Made to last and feature an added band to help keep the pleating in place even with extended use.
- Able to stand up to repeated soaking and cleaning for maximum life out of your filters.
- An affordable alternative to more expensive filters for popular hot tub brands.
- Does not come with all the parts needed to attach the filter cartridge in place of the old one.
- Does not provide the same level of sealing protection as other types of comparable filters.
- Media is made of thin paper material so it is prone to tearing more frequently than other types of filters.
This durable hot tub filter replacement cartridge is yet another great solution if you’re looking for a ceramic replacement to a traditional filter. It’s made to last a long time, and it can be used for much longer than a traditional polyester style filter. Best of all, with this particular listing, you can purchase a pack of three of these quality filters and stock up for future use. You will be well supplied for a long time to come!
- Much more affordable than well-known name brand replacement ceramic filters.
- Easy to clean by simply running through the dishwasher with a little bit of detergent.
- Great for hard to clean hot tubs and even for hard water issues.
- Difficult to adjust and may not be able to be used with some of the more popular hot tubs on the market today.
- May be more expensive than traditional polyester filters.
- May not be able to be used in conjunction with a separate microfilter or in filter, depending on your hot tub model.
The Spa Frog In-Filter is designed for use in conjunction with a traditional style of filter. It is a separate product, but when you use it along with your usual filter, you will be able to cut back significantly on the amount of chlorine and bromine you need to use to treat your water and bring it to the right pH level. You will have much cleaner water for a much longer time when you add the Spa Frog In-Filter to your usual filtration system. Best of all, it’s easy to install and even easier to use and replace when the time comes. With this listing, you’ll have enough to last you for a year.
- Helps keep water feeling comfortable and not too harsh for frequent use.
- Makes it easier for you to balance the chemicals in your spa and cut back on the use of those chemicals too.
- This product helps the filter work much more efficiently and last a lot longer between replacements.
- May not fit all varieties of hot tubs, particularly including older models.
- Plastic attachments may be a little flimsy and could break after repeated use and exposure to chemicals.
- Not intended for use with pop-up or inflatable spas.
There are plenty of hot tub filter options for you to choose from, no matter what kind of filter you have installed. Different brands and models of hot tubs take different filters, so it can be beneficial to narrow down your options before you get started shopping. Remember that shopping for hot tub filters doesn’t have to be too stressful, though, especially when you know what you’re looking for. Keep the following tips in mind to help you get the most out of looking for filters on Amazon:
- Always check the reviews. This can give you a good idea of whether or not the product really works as it claims to, as well as what you can expect in terms of potential troubleshooting. Most filters for sale on Amazon have a good number of reviews to go on.
- Don’t hesitate to try something from a lesser-known brand name if the reviews look good. Just because you’ve never heard of it before doesn’t necessarily mean there’s any reason to avoid buying it.
- If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. A great filter might cost more than you may want to pay, but it’s likely to be worth it in the long run. If you see something that looks suspicious, like a high-quality filter for a very low price, you might want to research a little more before jumping into it.
- Remember that you can save on shipping if you find certain products that fall under Amazon’s free shipping discount. Look for the Prime logo on listings if you’re concerned with free shipping.
Soon, you’ll be able to shop for filters on Amazon like a pro. You’ll never again have to worry about picking the perfect filter when you choose one from the list above. Get ready to have perfectly crystal clean water in your hot tub right away when you choose one of these great filters and see for yourself what makes them stand out as the best filter cartridge replacements on the market today.