7 Superior Sand Filter for Pool Options That Will Not Let You Down
Is your old pool filter having trouble keeping your water clean?
Do you find yourself having to replace cartridges too often or add more harsh pool treatment chemicals just to get your water up to standard?
Are you ready for an upgrade?
When you want to upgrade your existing pool filter from a cartridge style one or simply put in a better, stronger filter than the one you already have, you need a sand filter for swimming pool use. Sand filters are considered a big improvement over many cartridge style filters, and pool owners often prefer them over diatomaceous earth filters as well.
There are a lot of sand filter swimming pool options out there, however. Picking the one that’s right for your pool can be difficult, but don’t worry! This article is here to help you. Below, you’ll learn a little bit about what makes sand filters so great, and then you’ll be able to take a look at 7 of the best sand filters on the market today.
At the end of the article, don’t forget to take a look at our tips for choosing the right sand filter. Upgrading your filter can seem like a daunting task, but with this info to help you get started, it’ll be easier than you might expect.
Read on to learn more.
SPOILER ALERT... Here are our FAVORITE PICKS:
Last update on 2018-06-21 at 23:55 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
What Makes Sand Filters So Good?
When you want to operate your pool with sand filter options installed, you probably want to know a little bit about what makes these filters stand out so much. There are many great reasons why you might consider going to a sand filter. Check out this list to help you learn a little bit more.
- Sand filters operate by pushing water through sand that’s found in a round or cylindrical tank. The tank is filled with pool sand or with an alternative substance that works the same way. As the water moves through the grains, contaminants are caught by the sand. The water that comes out of the tank is perfectly filtered and clean. This is a very efficient and safe way of filtering water.
- Because of the way they operate, sand filters can be used without chemicals if you choose. You can also use them with pool treatment chemicals, but this usually isn’t required. This can be a great way to filter pool water if you or someone in your family is allergic or very sensitive to pool chemicals.
- It’s very easy to clean sand filters. They can be back washed by simply opening a valve that’s located somewhere on your filter. After performing a backwash, you simply have to add more sand and turn the filter back on to get it cycling once again right away.
- Sand filters are very easy to operate and repair if needed. There aren’t a lot of working parts inside a sand filter, which means finding replacement pieces is both affordable and simple. Most people can easily install and repair these filters on their own, even without prior pool filter experience.
- Sand filters tend to be a great middle ground between a cartridge and a diatomaceous earth filter. Cartridge filters often aren’t strong enough for pools that see very heavy use or have very hard water, while diatomaceous earth may be too expensive, too powerful, or too potentially harmful for some pool owners. With a sand filter, you can find a great mid-range price for a filter that works exceptionally well.
Sand Filter Reviews
Below are some reviews for the 7 best sand filter for pool products available today. Whether you’re looking for something that fits into a smaller budget or you want the biggest and most powerful filter you can find, you’ll be able to compare and contrast all your options from the list below. Remember that these filters are arranged by price so you should be able to find something that works for you, no matter what kind of budget you might be looking at.
The Rx Clear Radiant 16 Inch Above Ground Swimming Pool Sand Filter is a great starter sand filter for smaller swimming pools. Capable of holding up to 110 pounds of pool sand, this filter is great for smaller pools or medium-sized pools that aren’t used as frequently as others. While it isn’t large enough for big or often-used swimming pools, it can still help you get a lot of great filtration for your above ground pool. Best of all, it comes with an easy-to-use valve that makes cleaning a breeze.
- This is one of the most affordable sand filters on the market today.
- This filter works great with a wide variety of different pools and pumps, so it’s a good universal choice.
- The filter comes with an included base to make installation easy.
- This filter does not come with all the hoses you need, so you’ll need to purchase these additionally before you can install it.
- The filter is smaller, so it may not last as long as some other comparable filters on the market.
- This filter comes from a lesser-known company, which may be a negative to some buyers.
When you’re looking for a filter that can handle a lot of wear and tear all while keeping your water clean and clear, you need the Rx Clear Radiant Swimming Pool Sand Filter. This stylish gray-and-black filter is designed to smoothly integrate into your backyard pool setup without standing out, and it operates quietly enough that you’ll hardly notice it’s there. With a tank that’s made of durable plastic, you can easily place this filter wherever you need it most and operate it worry-free, even in the inclement weather. When the time comes to put it away for the year, you can clean and empty it very easily.
- This filter is capable of cleaning up murky water after only a couple of 24-hour cycles.
- This filter holds a lot of sand, which means you can get a ton of great filtration without a lot of effort or expense.
- You can use this filter with traditional pool sand or with a sand alternative, depending on your preferences.
- You may need to know more about filter installation for this product than you would for other filters listed here.
- The included directions have been known to be difficult to follow, and you may need to contact the company for additional assistance.
- In some cases, the included valves have been known to develop leaks fairly quickly, especially with extended use.
Although this pool filter may look smaller than some of the others listed here, it definitely packs a punch! The Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter is designed for use with just about any type of above ground swimming pool, and it can be adapted for use with almost any pump as well. This sleek, round, black filter looks great with any backyard swimming pool setup, and since it’s built from durable plastic, it’s resistant to corrosion from pool treatment chemicals as well as from rust and damage from being outdoors in inclement weather.
- This filter is easy to install and comes with directions that are simple for even an inexperienced installer to follow.
- The filter comes with a mounting base to make it easier to find a solid, safe place to operate it.
- With a 7-way backwash valve, you’ll be able to clean and backwash the filter very quickly and easily every time.
- This filter comes from a lesser-known company than some of the other filters listed here, so this may be a detriment to some buyers.
- The plastic casing is less durable than the fiberglass casing that comes with some of the other filters on the market today.
- Included installation tools may not be strong enough for the actual installation process.
If you’re looking for a filter that can give you an incredible flow rate without having to sacrifice quality or durability, look no further than the Pentair 145333 Sand Dollar Top Mount Pool Filter. This little filter can get a lot done despite its smaller size, and it’s great for any above ground pools that require the excellent filtration that comes with a sand filter. It’s available in a stylish black and white design that looks great with any outdoor aesthetics, and it comes with all the valves you need to install it and get it up and running right away.
- Although it’s designed for above ground pools, this is a great filter for in ground pools as well.
- This filter is designed to work with just about any pump you might already have installed, and you may not need to upgrade your pump when you purchase it.
- You can use this sand filter with any type of pool treatment chemicals you may already be using.
- The filter has been known to arrive with a seam split, although the company will replace it if this happens.
- In some cases, the packaging of this filter causes the product to become damaged in transit.
- The filter has been known to arrive without its included instruction manual, although you can find this information online if need be.
Are you looking for a powerful sand pool filter that’s built to last for many years? If so, the No products found. is a great place to get started. This is an incredible filter that can stand up to a lot of wear and tear. Thanks to its tough construction and excellent flow rate, this sand filter continues to be a popular choice for anyone looking to upgrade from a lower-quality sand filter or from a different type of filter, too. It even comes with all the valves you need to get started hooking it up right away.
- This filter comes from the very popular Hayward company, which is well-known among pool products as one of the best brands on the market.
- The filter includes a built-in base to make installing and placement easier than ever before.
- Great at cleaning up even very dirty or hard water with only a single 24-hour cycle.
- The filter has been known to arrive with a broken or damaged pressure gauge, although Hayward will replace it if necessary.
- In some instances, the filter has been known to develop leaks along the seam lines.
- Might be too expensive for some budgets.
The Pentair 145240 Tagelus Top Mount Fiberglass Sand Pool Filter is an excellent option for anyone looking for a durable, powerful pool filter that makes filtration easier than ever before. This excellent filter is designed to mount laterally, which makes it even better in terms of flow rate and simple cleaning. Even the backwashing of this filter can be very quick and easy to perform, especially with the included water and sand drain. With this filter installed, you’ll never have to worry about dirty water in your swimming pool again.
- Since this filter comes from a well-known company, you can expect great customer service with any issues you might come across.
- This filter comes with a built-in base to make placement very simple and easy.
- Backwashing can be performed in just a few hours with this simple filter.
- This is a very expensive product that may be over the budget for some pool owners.
- This filter may be a little more difficult to install than some of the other filters listed here.
- In some instances, this filter has been known to arrive with a cracked or damaged pressure gauge, although the company will replace it upon request.
If you’re looking for a high-quality filter that’s sure to take care of any water, no matter how dirty it might be, look no further than the Pentair 140315 Triton C High Capacity Fiberglass Side Mount Sand Pool Filter. This is a very powerful filter that is often used for commercial-grade swimming pools, so you can rest assured that it’s more than strong enough to handle anything your backyard pool might throw its way. Best of all, since it comes from Pentair, you know you’re getting a great product that’s going to last you for a long time to come.
- Although this filter is very large, it is easy to install even without prior filter experience.
- Since this product comes from Pentair, you can expect great customer service and assistance if you need any help.
- The flow rate of this filter is very good and can handle even very hard or murky water easily.
- This is the most expensive sand filter on the list, and it may be well over the budget of some pool owners.
- Since this is a very large filter, it may be difficult to backwash and maintenance without assistance.
- You will need a very powerful pump to work with this filter, so you may need to upgrade your pump separately as well.
Important Things to Consider when Choosing Your Sand Filter
There are several things you need to keep in mind when you go shopping for your sand filter. These tips can help you find the right filter no matter what type of pool you might have. Remember, too, that you should always consider your own personal needs as well as your pool’s. Don’t forget to think about your budget, the amount of space you have to devote to your filter, and even the color or shape of your filter, if you’re concerned about the aesthetics.
- Most sand filters are made for above ground pools of at least 25,000 gallons of water volume. However, many of these are interchangeable with in ground pools. They may not be used with pop-up pools because they are usually much too strong for this type of pool and the kind of material pop-up pools are often made out of. For best results, stick to above ground pools with sand filters.
- Find the right size filter for your pool. First, find the surface area of your pool by multiplying the length of the pool by the width (or if your pool is round, find the radius of your pool times two, then multiplied by 3.14). Find the volume of your pool (which should be listed somewhere in your instruction manual), then divide that number by 360. This will give you the number of gallons of water that flow through your filter per minute. Always choose a sand filter that’s a little larger than this number to give you the optimum filtration experience.
- Think about your filter pump. Do you already have one, or are you going to need to purchase one? If you already have one, try to choose a sand filter that will work with the pump you have installed. Most sand filters don’t come in a kit with the pump included, so you can save a lot of money up front by working with the pump you already have. If you need to upgrade your pump, be sure you choose one with a turnover rate that matches that of your sand filter.
- Don’t forget to choose your sand! Sand filters require hundreds of pounds of pool sand to operate properly. There are other alternatives, such as glass sand, silica sand, and even filter balls that you may be able to use in place of sand if you prefer.
Choosing a sand filter can be a complicated process, but it doesn’t have to be. Just remember the tips listed in the section above to help you narrow down your choices and you’ll already be well on your way to bringing home the perfect filter for you and your pool.
When you feel like your swimming pool isn’t getting clean enough with a cartridge filter or if you find yourself worrying too much about the potential health and environmental issues that go along with a diatomaceous earth filter, a sand filter is a great choice for you. These filters can give you a ton of great filtration at a fraction of the cost of DE filters, and since they’re built to last for a long time, you don’t have to worry about frequent replacements like you would with a cartridge filter.
A sand filter can be an important addition to your pool that’s sure to stay with you for many years to come. In fact, most sand filters operate for anywhere between seven and ten years with no trouble. When you need something strong to get your pool water clean, a sand filter is the best way to go!