15 of the Absolute Best Swimming Pool Filters You Can Get Online
Does your pool filter need an upgrade?
Have you noticed that the water in your pool just isn’t staying as clean as it could with your existing filter?
Are you fed up with dealing with your current type of filter media and ready to try whatever it takes to make life easier for you?
You’re in the right place if so!
In this article, you’ll learn about 15 of the best swimming pool filters for sale on the market today. You’ll find several options no matter what type of filter you’re looking to buy, and you’ll be able to choose the perfect product to suit your needs.
In the first part of this article, you’ll also learn a little bit about what you need to be on the lookout for when you’re shopping for a filter. When you keep our tips in mind, you’re sure to select the best cartridge pool filter, sand filter, or DE filter that works with your budget and your pool.
If you’re ready to learn more about the great filters you have to choose from, read on!
What to Look For in a Pool Filter
When you’re shopping for a pool filter, there are a few things you should keep in mind to make sure you’re getting the best swimming pool filter for your needs. In this section, you’ll get a crash course in the elements you should consider to make sure the pool filter you pick the perfect one that will last you for at least several years.
1. Type of filter
There are three main types of pool filter to choose from: sand, DE, and cartridge style. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses, and some work better for certain types of pools than others.
- Sand – This type of filter can be a little expensive to set up, but once you have it installed and cycling, you probably won’t need to spend any more on it for several years.
- DE – This is the most expensive type of filter and uses the most expensive type of media, but it also provides the highest level of filtration.
- Cartridge – This is a very easy-to-use type of filter that’s been popular for a long time, and it’s the most affordable type as well. However, it doesn’t filter as well as some other types.
2. Size of filter
The size of your pool will help you determine the size filter you need to get the job done. You can usually choose a filter that’s about a size bigger than the recommended size for your pool if you’re looking for extra filtration. If you don’t use your pool often, however, this might not be necessary. Just be sure you don’t pick a filter that’s too small for the volume of your pool.
3. Brand name
This might not matter to some pool owners, but to others, it’s very important to have a filter that comes from a well-known and respected name in the industry. Hayward and Pentair are both some of the better-known name brands in the pool filter market. However, you might find a hidden gem among some of the other names out there, too.
Of course, if a filter is too expensive for you, you don’t want to buy it! Remember the long-term cost of your filter, however. Cartridge replacements may cost more over time even though these filters are cheaper to set up, while a more expensive sand filter won’t need new media for many years.
Cartridge filters have the most involved maintenance requirements, while sand filters have the most hands-off maintenance needs. DE filters fall right in the middle in terms of upkeep. If you’re looking for something that can be cleaned in just a few minutes, you probably won’t be happy with a cartridge filter’s more involved routine.
6. Ease of part replacement
Some filters have parts and media that are easier to replace than others. Some types of filter media may be difficult to find in local stores, depending on where you live. This can be a deciding factor for some pool owners.
Most modern filters are designed to work with all existing pool fixtures, with or without simple adaptions. However, if you have a very old pool, you might run into a problem with filter compatibility. Be sure to check the filters you’re interested in to see if they’ll work with the type, brand, and model of pool you have.
In this section, you’ll find a list of the absolute best swimming pool sand filters for sale. No matter what size pool you might have and how much filtration you might need, if a sand filter is in your future, you’re sure to love any of the choices listed below.
1. Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter
When you’re searching for a sand filter that can handle a smaller pool as well as an average mid-sized pool, the Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter is just what you need. This sand filter is designed to work as well as some of the larger ones available on the market today, but it’s smaller and much more affordable, which makes it one of the best sand filter for pool options around. It’s designed from sturdy materials and comes with its own built-in base to make placement and positioning much easier than ever before.
- You can easily use this filter with a separate micro filter or with an ozone or salt filter if you choose to for extra filtration and even cleaner water.
- Depending on your pool, you may be able to use this filter with either an above ground or an in-ground system.
- It’s very easy to get this filter placed correctly and hooked up in no time, even without prior plumbing and installation experience.
- This filter is not intended for use with pop-up pools, as it’s generally too powerful for this type of swimming pool setup.
- In some cases, the filter has been known to arrive with a faulty backwash valve that allows water to pour out of it during operation.
- The filter has been known to develop leaks and cracks fairly easily over time in some instances.
2. Hayward S244T ProSeries 24” In-Ground Sand Pool Filter
Are you searching for a great sand filter that will get your pool started the right way? Do you want something to replace your existing filter that won’t need to be repaired or replaced for several years? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could find a filter that does all this and isn’t too expensive to set up, too? With the Hayward S244T ProSeries 24” In-Ground Sand Pool Filter, you can have all the great features you’re looking for in your filter and even more from the best pool sand filter company around. This is a very popular sand filter, and when you choose it, you’ll be joining the ranks of many other pool owners who have happily installed it and used it for many years with no problems.
- This filter is very easy to set up and install, and it’s easy to backwash as needed with only a few simple actions.
- Many pool owners have reported this filter lasting them for at least five years and often much more than that.
- This filter should work with your existing pool fittings with no trouble.
- The seam where this filter is put together has been known to weaken and crack quickly without proper maintenance.
- The o-ring that is part of the lid gasket will stretch out and need to be replaced with frequent use and cleaning.
- This is a bigger filter that may be difficult for some pool owners to work with because of its size.
3. Hayward S244S Pro-Series 24-Inch Side-Mount Pool Filter
With the Hayward S244S Pro-Series 24-Inch Side-Mount Pool Filter as part of your backyard pool setup, you’re sure to have clean, crystal clear water no matter how often you want to use your pool. This filter is large enough to handle frequent swimming and pools that need a little extra attention but small enough to work for backyard pools without being too overpowered for your needs. Best of all, it’s made by Hayward, which is one of the most well-known pool filter companies on the market today. When you bring home this filter, you can be sure you’re going to get a great product that will last you for a long time to come.
- This filter includes the multi-port valve as well as everything else you need to get started other than the filter sand.
- The filter is made of a strong, durable material and the included base is sturdy enough to keep it in place no matter what may come.
- You can easily operate this filter out in the inclement weather without having to worry about it.
- In some cases, the back pipe has been known to arrive with small cracks that can lead to leaks very quickly.
- If you have had a previous Hayward filter in place, this filter may not be the same as its predecessors and may require a few adjustments before you can set it up.
- The included valve has been known to develop small leaks very quickly and may need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
4. Hayward S310T2 Pro-Series 30-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter
If you’re searching for one of the most well-built and durable sand filters you can find, check out the Hayward S310T2 Pro-Series 30-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter. This filter is a great size for anyone looking to give sand filters a try for the first time, and it’s universal enough to work with just about any existing pool equipment and fittings. Best of all, it’s user-friendly, and it’s designed to be as easy to install as it is to set up and operate for years to come. This filter is sure to become a part of your pool setup that will be around for a long while without causing you any difficulties.
- Unlike many of the other filters listed here, this is a great option for in-ground pools, and it can handle the unique needs of these pools especially well.
- The filter comes with the multiport valve and everything else you need to get it set up right out of the box.
- You can use this filter with regular pool sand or with an approved sand alternative if you so choose.
- In some instances, the pressure gauge may be cracked on arrival.
- The valve clamp that comes as part of this filter setup may need to be replaced fairly quickly after a few uses.
- In rare instances, the seam where the tank is put together has been known to weaken and split, especially over time.
Below are some of the best and most highly rated DE pool filters for sale. Any of these is sure to help get your pool cleaner and clearer than ever before
5. Hayward EC50AC Perflex Extended-Cycle Above-Ground/In-Ground DE Filter
The Hayward EC50AC Perflex Extended-Cycle Above-Ground/In-Ground DE Filter is a great option for anyone looking to get started with a DE filter. This little filter is very easy to install and get started with, and as soon as you get it set up, you’re sure to see just what makes it such a popular choice. It features an extended cycle design that keeps your DE working for you longer than it does with many other filters, which in turn helps you save money and improves the condition of the environment as well. It’s a win-win situation when you go with this great filter for your pool’s needs.
- You do not have to backwash this system at all, and you will only need to add a little bit of extra DE to it every now and then.
- This filter can be used with any preexisting pool setup, and it’s very easy to install adapters to this filter as well.
- Since this is a smaller filter, it won’t require as much DE as larger ones, so you’ll be able to save money this way as well.
- If you tighten the lid too much when replacing the DE, you can run the risk of cracking the plastic this filter is made of.
- If you have a larger pool, you may run into clogging issues with this product.
- You cannot use this filter with pop-up pools, and if you use it with the wrong type of pool, it may cause DE to drift into your pool water.
6. Hayward EC65A DE Complete Pool Filter
DE pool filters can be expensive, but depending on the size of your pool, you might not need to shell out of a lot of money to get a great filter that can last you for a long while to come. With the Hayward EC65A DE Complete Pool Filter as part of your pool’s setup, you’ll be well on your way to crystal clear water from the moment you install this powerful little product. Although this filter is smaller and is designed to work with small to mid-sized pools, you can still get a ton of great use out of it when you have a pool that fits its size. Best of all, since it’s smaller, it’s very easy to install and take care of on your own without needing to hire a technician for maintenance.
- This filter comes with everything you need to set it up, install it, and get started right out of the box.
- This filter has been known to last at least ten years when cleaned and maintained properly.
- You can use this filter with DE or with appropriate DE alternatives if you choose.
- If you don’t regularly clean and maintain the filter, it may cause DE to wash back into your pool fairly often.
- The body of this filter has been known to weaken at the seams, so it may require extra attention in this area.
- It may be difficult to get the pressure inside this filter tank right when adding new DE to the system for the first time.
7. Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid DE Pool Filter
When you want the best the world of pool filters has to offer, you want the Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid DE Pool Filter. It’s widely known that most of the time, DE style filters can give you much more filtration than the other types of filters available, although they may be more expensive to set up. And since Hayward is recognized as one of the best brand names in terms of pool filtration, you can’t go wrong by choosing one of their most popular products. This large pool filter can handle a high flow rate and a large pool easily without allowing your water to get murky, cloudy, or slimy.
- The filter is very easy to clean and backwash with a lever that can simply be twisted to the right position to get the job done.
- This filter can be used for a variety of different pool sizes and may be able to be used in some in-ground pools, depending on the pool itself.
- This filter doesn’t require too much DE to get started, so you won’t have to spend a lot extra on buying filter media at the setup.
- It may be difficult to operate this filter without causing air to escape from the release valve on top of the tank.
- The filter doesn’t come with the backwash valve, and you’ll need to purchase it separately, which may increase the cost of this setup by a few dollars.
- In some instances, the plastic manifolds inside this filter have been known to weaken and break very quickly after installation.
8. Pentair 180008 FNS Fiberglass Reinforced DE Pool Filter
When you want a great pool filter that can give you ample filtration without being too large for your pool’s needs, check out the Pentair 180008 FNS Fiberglass Reinforced DE Pool Filter. This filter is built to last and made of strong, reinforced fiberglass that won’t corrode, rust, or damage easily, even if you regularly use it out in the inclement weather. It’s intended to work well with just about any preexisting pool fixtures, and it includes a unique backwashing system that makes this important task easier than ever before to manage and complete quickly without too much wasted time.
- This filter is designed to be used for at least ten years without needing to be repaired or replaced as long as you keep up with regular cleaning and maintenance.
- The plastic used in this filter is very strong and sturdy, which results in fewer potential breaks and cracks over time.
- The filter comes with its own built-in base, which makes it easier to find a good place to install it.
- This filter may be too small to handle some larger pools or those that have very heavy swimmer loads.
- You will have to purchase the multiport valve required to get this filter set up and running, which may be an additional expense.
- As you use this filter over time, you’ll need to replace the o-ring that is part of the lid gasket.
9. Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Fiberglass Vertical Grid DE Pool Filter
Are you searching for a diatomaceous earth pool filter that will give you tons of incredible filtration without making it difficult to keep the filter clean? With the Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Fiberglass Vertical Grid DE Pool Filter, you’ll be able to get your pool water cleaner than ever before. The filter is designed with a unique backwashing system that makes it even simpler to perform this necessary task regularly without having to spend a lot of time on maintenance. The internal vertical grids are also built to be easier to remove and repair or replace as necessary, so any way you look at it, with this filter installed, you can save a lot of time and effort.
- It’s very easy to install this filter with existing pool hoses and lines, and it’s even easy to add adapters as needed to make it work.
- The filter is incredibly easy to set up with just a couple of quick and simple connections.
- This filter is a fairly universal size, so it should be easy to place without needing to make any major adjustments if you already have a different pool filter set up.
- You’ll need to purchase an additional multiport valve before you can get this filter up and running.
- It may be difficult to get the pressure right in your filter’s tank without several attempts.
- If you tighten the filter’s lid too much or increase the pressure too much, it’s likely to split at the seams.
Below are some of the best pool cartridge filters for sale. Choose the one that works best with the size and type of pool you have, and remember to pay attention to the prices as well. No matter which one of these great products you select, you’ll have a durable filter that will give you a lot of great filtration.
10. Hayward C225 Micro Star Clear Pool Filter
The Hayward C225 Micro Star Clear Pool Filter is one of the smallest and most affordable filters on our list today. Although it’s not tough enough to be used as a filter on its own, it gets an honorable mention because of its affordable and because of how powerful it is even so. This microfilter can be used in conjunction with your existing filter or with a product such as an ozone filter to help give you even cleaner water than you ever could have imagined. Best of all, it comes from the Hayward company, which makes it even more well-built and ensures that you’re going to have a micro filter that will last you for many years to come.
- You can use this micro filter with any type of existing filter and in just about any size pool without having to worry about whether or not it’s strong enough to handle the flow rate.
- If you have a sand or DE filter in place, this extra cartridge filter is great at helping you get rid of any sand or DE that might wash into your pool water over time.
- The included cartridges can be used over and over again with proper cleaning and don’t cost very much to replace when the time comes.
- This product can’t be used on its own, so if you’re trying to shop for your filter on a budget, you’ll probably want to choose something that doesn’t require a separate filtration option as well.
- When you need to clean a micro filter cartridge, this will add to the amount of maintenance you have to take care of regularly for your pool.
- It may be difficult to open this filter to remove the cartridge inside, especially if you’ve never worked with a micro filter before.
11. Hayward C500 Star-Clear 50 Square Foot Cartridge Filter
When you have a smaller swimming pool or even a mid-sized pool you don’t necessarily use all that often, the Hayward C500 Star-Clear 50 Square Foot Cartridge Filter is sure to be the right option for you. This filter is small, but it packs a punch, and it’s a lot more durable than you might think just by looking at it! Since it comes from the Hayward company, you know you’re going to get an incredible, powerful product when you install this filter as part of your regular pool setup. Although it might not be strong enough to handle large pools or those with a heavy bather load, you can still get a lot of great use out of this filter in the right situation.
- Although this product is more affordable than a lot of the other Hayward products available, it doesn’t cut corners when it comes to design or durability.
- This filter is very easy to install and even easier to clean and maintain when the time comes to remove the cartridge media inside.
- This filter is built to last, and in some cases, it has been known to last over ten years with regular cleaning as needed.
- The filter doesn’t come with unions already in place, so if you’re looking for a filter you can more easily install and uninstall when the time comes, you may need to make this upgrade yourself.
- In some instances, this filter has been known to crack at the base and develop leaks fairly quickly after installation.
- Over time, the seal on the lid may weaken and stretch out, and it may develop a leak without replacing the gasket.
12. Pentair 160316 Clean & Clear Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Cartridge Pool Filter
Does your swimming pool need a lot of attention that your old cartridge filter just can’t handle? Do you find that it’s difficult to find a reasonably-priced cartridge filter that can deal with a high enough turnover rate to keep your water clean even when you want to take a swim every day? With the Pentair 160316 Clean & Clear Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Cartridge Pool Filter, you’ll never again have to worry about whether or not you’re using your pool too much for your filter to keep it clean. This filter is designed to work with most of your existing pool pipes, hoses, and pump, so you don’t even have to worry about complicated installation issues when you choose this one.
- This filter comes with everything you need to get started, assuming you already have a pump in place.
- The design of this filter makes it very easy to install, clean, maintain, and even to repair if the need arises.
- After only a couple of cycles, this filter is capable of cleaning up even the dirtiest of swimming pool water.
- The included pressure gauge has been known to stop working fairly quickly after installation and may require a replacement part to be purchased.
- You may need to install some adapters to get this filter to fit your pool, especially if you have older hookups already installed.
- The included replacement filter may need to be changed fairly quickly since it’s lower quality than many of the others you can purchase.
13. Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 Square Foot Pool Filter
Are you looking for a great way to get into the world of Hayward brand pool filters without having to spend a fortune to do it? With the Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 Square Foot Pool Filter, you’ll be able to do all that and so much more. This filter comes with a built-in base that’s part of its durable, molded design. This way, it’s much easier to find a safe place to install this filter than it may be with other models available on the market today. And since this is a Hayward filter, you know you’re going to get a great quality product from the best pool filter cartridge brand around.
- It’s very easy to clean this filter quickly and take care of cartridge replacements easily with just a few simple tasks.
- Many customers have been pleased enough with this pool filter to compare it to DE filters, which notably provide the best filtration on the market.
- This is a very quiet filter that runs without making a lot of unwanted noise.
- As you use this filter, the o-ring around the lid gasket will stretch out and need to be replaced, although this should only be required every year or so.
- The pressure gauge has been known to arrive broken or not working, and you may need to contact Hayward to send you a new one.
- Because of poor packaging during transit, some filters have arrived broken or otherwise needing attention before they can be installed.
14. Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Cartridge Pool Filter
The Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Cartridge Pool Filter is a strong filter that can take care of a lot of filtration issues and then some. It features a sturdy design and is made of tough materials that won’t corrode, rust, or otherwise become damaged or weakened during use, even if you keep it out in bad weather or if it gets splashed from the pool. This filter is ready for you to set it up and get started right away, and best of all, it’s designed to make cleanup easier than ever before. When you have this filter in place, you’ll never want to change from cartridge style filtration.
- It’s very easy to install this filter, and if you have any trouble you can contact the company for assistance.
- The filter is very powerful and is capable of handling just about any above-ground backyard swimming pool.
- It only takes one cycle for this filter to start working very well and to get your water clean and clear no matter how dirty it might be.
- In some instances, this filter has been known to get broken during transit and cause small plastic pieces to clog the media inside.
- As with many other filters, the pressure gauge that comes with this one may be broken or damage during shipping.
- The base of the filter is prone to developing chips and cracks over time and may develop leaks as well.
15. Hayward C7030 725 Square Feet SwimClear Reusable Cartridge Filter
When you want the top of the line in terms of cartridge style pool filters, look no further than the Hayward C7030 725 Square Feet SwimSclear Reusable Cartridge Filter. This filter is designed to handle anything you might throw its way, and it’s durable and powerful enough to be used all year long if you live in the kind of climate where this is possible. Even if not, you can get a lot of great use out of this pool filter when you operate it during the proper season. It features a unique design that gives you tons of extra filtration that makes it a leader among the other cartridge style filters available on the market today.
- This is one of the most powerful cartridge filters on the market and is widely used by commercial swimming pools, so you know it can handle a lot of use easily.
- The filter is very easy to take apart for storage if you choose to put it away at the end of the season.
- Even if you keep this filter out in direct sunlight and rain, it can hold up to this and a lot more.
- This is a very expensive cartridge filter that may be well over budget for a lot of pool owners.
- The filter requires four separate cartridges for maximum filtration, which will add to the expense as well as to the maintenance time required to keep it up.
- This filter is very large and may be difficult to install on your own, although the directions are clear and easy to follow.
As you can see, there are a lot of excellent pool filters available for you to choose from. The filter you choose depends largely on your specific needs, so don’t forget about the tips mentioned in the first part of this article to help you narrow down your options.
Whether you choose to go with a sand filter, a DE filter, or a cartridge filter, you’re sure to enjoy a lot of great swimming seasons and easy maintenance when you select any of the filters from our list above. Remember that, no matter which type you choose, you’re still going to need to keep up with regular maintenance and cleaning for your specific filter style to ensure that your product lasts as long as it can.
When you install your filter and get used to cleaning it as needed on a regular basis, you’re sure to see an improvement in the quality of your water and in your swimming pool enjoyment too. In no time, you’ll be well on your way to an incredible pool experience you’ll look forward to time and time again!