How To Soften Hard Water For Washing Hair
Does your hair always feel greasy and unwashed, even when you wash it often?
Is your scalp often sticky, no matter how many times you shampoo, and does it smell?
If you regularly notice these signs, it is possible you’re using hard water to wash your hair.
Many areas receive hard water and even if you wash your hair every day, the water will make it difficult to properly clean it.
But don’t worry, your hair woes are about to be solved right now! In this article, we tell you how to soften hard water for washing hair so that it makes your hair cleaner and removes the grease. Also, we’ll share a list of products, complete with mini reviews and individual pros and cons, so that you can choose the best one for yourself.
Take a look.
SPOILER ALERT... Here are our FAVORITE PICKS:
SHOWER FILTER WITH SOFTENER
Last update on 2017-12-14 at 08:55 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
WATER SOFTENING SYSTEM
Last update on 2017-12-14 at 06:55 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Why is soft water better for washing hair than hard water?
Water contains different minerals, but it becomes hard when the levels of dissolved minerals are too high compared to what they should be in regular water. Two major compounds often found in excess in hard water are calcium and magnesium.
Your hair is naturally sensitive and fragile, and the water used can have a major effect. Here are a few reasons that make soft water better for hair wash.
- Less damage: Soft water does not contain excess minerals that can damage your hair. It will not dry out your scalp and hair and prevent dandruff and eventual hair fall.
- Promotes hair growth: Soft water penetrates easily through your hair follicles and encourages new hair growth. In the case of hard water, this takes more time and is not always possible, which means that your hair growth is definitely limited when compared to how much it can grow when you wash it with soft water.
- Less split ends: The excess amount of calcium and magnesium in hard water leaves a residue which weighs down the hair. With time, this damages the hair ends and causes split ends, eventually causing hair breakage and hair fall. Soft water will clean your hair naturally and remove all traces of dirt and grime, leaving it clean and healthy.
- Keeps your colour protected: If you love colouring your hair, you may definitely want to use soft water to wash your hair. Hard water does not work well on your hair and is especially damaging to the hair colour. This means that your colour will fade away faster as compared to when you wash your hair with soft water.
What can be done to soften water for washing hair?
There is not a lot that you can do to completely change the type of water you get in your area. If you want to know how to make hard water soft for washing hair, try the following methods that will help soften the water.
1. Using a shower filter with softener
A shower filter is a type of attachment that you put on your regular shower unit. It is very helpful, because it can significantly reduce the amount of lime scale, magnesium, chlorine and other dissolved minerals that are present in the hard water.
The best part is that these come with built-in water softeners, which means that once you install them, your work is pretty much done.
A shower filter with softener is the most convenient choice if you live in apartments and they work great in small spaces.
It is usually a very easy process especially if you compare it to using a whole house water softening system. It comes with a shower head, a filtering tank and a part that you have to attach to the valve of the shower. In most cases, you will be able to install these yourselves, without the need of any professional help.
2. Whole house water softening system
A whole house water softening system is a long-term solution and so is more expensive than the shower head solution. It will help to soften all the water that you get anywhere in the house, and not be restricted only to your bathroom shower.
The water softening system will exchange the minerals present in the water so that only sodium remains in the water. This will help it turn from hard to soft water. This means that, in addition to having clean hair, you can also have clean dishes, clean clothes and reduce the damage to your bathroom and kitchen hardware.
You will most likely need professional help to install these.
SHOWER FILTER WITH SOFTENER
1. Culligan ISH-100 Inline Shower Filter for Use With Existing Shower Heads
This shower filter will fit most shower heads, including the standard 1/2’’ thread shower heads. It is very easy to install and does not require any additional tools. It comes with a WHR-140 filter cartridge and will work on 10,000 gallons of water, or for a period of six months.
- Fits most shower heads
- Easy to install, does not require any additional tools
- WHR-140 filter cartridge
- 10,000 gallons of water or for a period of six months.
- May not remove all the chlorine and still dry out hair to some extent.
2. Cedar & Citrus CC22000002 Inline SPA Showerhead Filter & Water Softener
Filter helps to remove chlorine and deposits along with the strong smell. Can be used with hot water and is easy to install, with no additional tools required. You can remove the filter cartridge easily and replace as required. Works for up to a year.
- Remove chlorine, deposits and smell
- Can use with hot water
- Easy to install
- The plastic may crack.
3. Jonathan Product Beauty Hard Water Shower Filter System
Helps to remove lead and copper and balances the water’s pH levels. Maintains good flow of water.
- Removes lead and copper
- Balances pH levels
- Good water flow
- May not be effective after few weeks of use
WATER SOFTENING SYSTEM
1. Tier1 48,000 Grain High Efficiency Water Softener Digital Metered Whole House System
Works on all your water outlets and is energy-efficient. Has different adjustments for different water requirements and also has a 48 hour memory back-up.
- Works on all water outlets
- Different adjustments for different water requirements
- 48 hour memory back-up.
- None yet
2. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System
It comes with fully programmable cycles for better use of water. The system has a flow meter that measures used water and regenerates it as required, reducing wastage.
- Fully programmable cycles
- Flow meter measures used water
- Regenerates water as required, reduces wastage.
- Some hardware may not function well.
3. ABCwaters Built Fleck 5600sxt 48,000 Black WATER SOFTENER w/UPGRADED 10% Resin + Hardness Test + Install Kit
This is a high capacity system and has a 5 year warranty on the valve. It also has a digital valve meter to make best use of water.
- High capacity
- 5 year warranty valve
- Digital valve meter
- Installation can be difficult even with professional help.