Looking for a backpacking water filter? See our top picks right here! ***See more on BEST CAMPING WATER FILTERS below***
Our Top Recommendation
- High-capacity, gravity-fed, hollow-fiber water filter system is ideal for group and family camping, outdoor...
- Meets all EPA/NSF guidelines for removal of 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.9% of protozoa, including giardia,...
- No pumping required; reservoir fills easily and hangs from a tree to deliver four liters of filtered water for...
Camping and backpacking filters are great solutions for drinking water on the go. And if you’re searching for a reliable water filter for camping and hiking, the BEST hiking water filter is probably what you want to get. But choosing the best water filter pump best rated in camping & hiking water is easier said than done! That’s why we’ve picked the best camping water filters in our list and we hope you find yourself the best camping filter for YOUR needs. So take a look at the best backpacking water filters of our camping water filter roundup. Enjoy choosing a camping water filter in our list! Order now!
Are you looking for some safe drinking water options while going camping? Do you want to carry some water filtration with you that is not bulky and will work outdoors? Are you thinking of buying a portable water filter but are not sure which one would work best?
The last thing you want to worry about on your camping trip is about the quality of the water you drink. What could be better than having your own water filtration system and knowing what you are drinking is absolutely clean? Not sure how you can do that? Then this article is meant just for you!
Today we take a look at why filtering your own water for drinking outdoors is a good idea. We are also doing detailed reviews of 5 of the best water filter systems that you can easily carry along. Find out their price range, features as well as their pros and cons. So, even as you get ready to go camping, read through and find out which one you need to get.
Advantages of being able to filter water for drinking while camping
Of course there are various advantages of being able to filter your own water when you are outdoors or are camping. Here is a look at why it can be good for you:
- It is fine to carry your own filtered water with you, but it is possible that the water gets consumed on the way.
- In the event that you suddenly have the need to get more water to drink, you can easily filter it without the risk of drinking contaminated water.
- In some cases, water that has been filtered for a long time may not retain its clean properties. In such a situation, it is always better to be able to filter the water and get access to clean water immediately.
5 water filters that are perfect for camping
1. Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
This is a mini water filtration system from Sawyer Products that is ideal for the outdoors as well as for indoor use. The small size will easily fit in your palm, and at just 2 ounces, it is light to carry around. It can be attached to a regular drinking pouch which is included, as well as to disposable water bottles. You can also use it with hydration packs or drink directly with a straw. The filter has been rated up to 100,000 gallons. It removes various traces of bacteria such as salmonella, giardia, E.coli, cholera and more.
- Very lightweight. Easy to use.
- Makes water look clear and crisp.
- Easy to fill.
- Easy to get water out.
- Easy to clean.
- The O ring on the seal is not sturdy.
2. Platypus GravityWorks 4 L Complete Water Filter Kit
This water filter kit from Platypus GravityWorks meets all EPA and NSF guidelines of removing traces of bacteria such as E.coli, salmonella, cholera, giardia and more. It has a 4 litre dirty water reservoir and a 4 litre clean water reservoir. The filter backflushes in 4 seconds and does not require additional tools. The zip opening allows easy filling of water. The shutoff clamp makes it safe to store and use clean water. Replaceable cartridge can filter up to 1,500 gallons of water. Water is clean in as fast as 2.5 minutes.
- Filters very fast.
- No pumping required.
- Weighs less than a pound.
- High quality storage bags.
- Long hose makes it easy to hang from a tree.
- Very easy to clean.
- May not be the best for all budgets.
- Filter cartridge can leak.
3. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness
The Personal Water Filter from LifeStraw will give you up to 1,000 gallons of filtered water. It removes most traces of bacteria such as E.coli and salmonella as well as various parasites that are found in water. In addition, it also removes even the smallest traces of micro plastics and reduces their turbidity to almost 0.2 microns. The product claims to be verified by various lab tests and meets the guidelines set by the US EPA, ASTM and the NSF for water purifiers. Purchasing this product also serves a community service by providing a year of safe drinking water to a school child in need for an entire school year.
- Cleans even the dirtiest looking water.
- Clean and crisp taste.
- Works as claimed.
- Smaller and lighter than most portable water filter kits.
- No added taste to water.
- Will not make you sick afterwards.
- Difficult to suck the water.
4. HydroBlu Go Flow Gravity Water Filter Bag with Versa Flow Water Filter Kit
The Versa Flow Water Filter Kit by HydroBlu comes with its own Gravity Water Filter bag that has a capacity of carrying up to 10 litre of water. Weighing just about 9 oz. this is extremely light in weight and very easy to carry around. It is also very easy to use, especially because of the hose that has a quick connect mechanism. The water filter will easily slide on to the bag and the entire kit is very easy to set up and use. The bag is made using BPA free food grade thermoplastic polyurethane plastic, or TPU. It also has additional reinforced stitching that will make it more durable. The filter will remove most traces of bacteria such as E.coli, cholera, giardia and salmonella. It will filter up to 10,000 gallons of water.
- Small and easy to pack.
- Easy to carry anywhere.
- Very easy to assemble and use.
- Water flow is fast.
- Carries a lot of water.
- Great value for money.
- Can work even on the dirtiest of water.
- No smell or taste of chemicals.
- Bag may not be very durable.
5. SurviMate Portable Water Filter Pump for Hiking Camping Travel Emergency use with Activated Carbon & 3 Filter Stages,2 Replaceable Pre-Filter
The portable water filter pump from SurviMate comes with a three stage water filtration system and claims to be up to 20 times more effective than other portable water filters. It can remove traces of bacteria and other germs such as E.coli, giardia, cholera and more. The kit comes with two extra pre-filters that will help you use the replacement in case of an emergency. The flow rate of the kit is about 1400 ml in a minute. The filter can work for up to 3,000 litres of water. Anti-skid rubber on the sides will keep it sturdy while in use.
- Filters even the muddiest of water.
- Very quick to assemble.
- Easy to carry.
- Does not take up much space.
- Water tastes good.
- None as yet.
What are other uses of water on camping trips, apart from drinking?
In addition to drinking the water, clean water can help you in many other ways when you are out camping. One of the first uses of clean drinking water is to use it for cooking purposes. Also, you may need to use clean drinking water for your daily cleaning needs, such as for your oral hygiene as well as for cleaning utensils in which you may need to cook or eat. This is also especially important for those who travel with small babies or children.
Last update on 2021-01-22 at 18:45 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.