Does your backyard have a swimming pool you and your family love?
Do you want to keep it clean and safe for use year-round, or are you looking for ways to improve the quality of your pool water while it’s in season?
Do you find yourself struggling to work with the filter system that came with your pool or an old, outdated model?
If any of these are true, then you need to bring home a new pool cartridge filter system today!
Choosing the best cartridge pool filter system can be a little bit of a challenge, but with this article to back you up, you never have to worry about making the wrong decision again. Take a look at the first part of the article to learn everything you need to know about choosing the right pool filter for your swimming pool and be sure to check out the pros and cons of cartridge style pool filters too while you’re at it.
From there, check out our reviews of the 35 best filters on the market today. You’ll be able to find just what you need, whether you’re looking for an affordable model that gives you a lot of bang for your buck or you’re looking to spend as much as it takes to get a top of the line product.
By the time you’ve made it through this article, you’ll be ready to pick the pool pump cartridge filter system that’s perfect for you. Read on to learn more!
Pros and Cons of Pool Cartridge Filters
When choosing the right type of filter for your swimming pool, you might be tempted to go for a sand, diatomaceous earth, or another type of filter you might come across on the market. These are all good for certain situations, but when it comes to finding the right filtration options for most backyard pools, you can’t go wrong with a cartridge style filter. Check out the list of pros and cons below to help you make the right call.
Pool Cartridge Maintenance Tips
It’s easy to make your cartridge style filter last for years to come when you pay close attention to regular maintenance of this product. No matter what type of swimming pool you have, you’re going to need to keep up with your maintenance in order to ensure your filter runs smoothly and continues removing contaminants from your pool water as much as possible.
- Check your cartridge every two weeks. For this simple check, all you have to do is open up the filter and look inside to see whether or not the cartridge is getting grimy or packed with solid contaminants. If you have a less expensive model of filter you might need to remove the cartridge completely to see it well.
- Thoroughly soak your cartridge every four months. This should be a simple soaking process during which you place the filter in a large pickle tub with filter cleaning solution and plenty of water to cover it. You will then need to rinse it fully and let it dry completely before replacing it. For this reason, it may be helpful to have two separate filters to work with.
- Replace your cartridge every year at most. Many less expensive cartridges will need to be replaced more often than this, but some can wait for up to a year as long as you perform regular cleaning on them. Most filter media will not last longer than a year.
- Every time you check your cartridge, take a close look at your filter too. Check it for leaks or cracks that might be forming, and check the tightness of the seals as well as the strength of the suction. The sooner you notice any potential problems, the easier it will be for you to fix them or call someone to take a look at them.
How to Choose the Best Filter for Your Pool
So how do you choose the best pool cartridge filter system for your pool? In this section, you’ll be given a few tips to help you get started. There are a lot of factors to consider when shopping for the right pool filter, but if you keep these tips in mind, you’ll be able to find the best option without getting bogged down by all the options available on the market today.
- Think about the type of pool you have. Is it above ground or in ground? Is it a popup pool that you have to construct or is it a permanent pool that has been built in your backyard? While some types of filters can be used interchangeably between many types of pools, most of them are more specific than that.
- Think about the size of your pool. Larger pools will need larger filters, but you might want to use a large filter on a mid-size or even small pool, depending on how dirty it gets. Most of the time, filters will specify the size they’re used best for, but unless otherwise stated, they can often go up or down a size without any real problems.
- Consider the amount of sound your filter might make and where it can be placed. If you only have the option to put your filter attached to your pool directly, you might want to choose one that’s known for running quietly. Think, too, about whether or not your filter will have to sit in the direct sunlight much of the time.
- Consider how often you use your pool and when you set it up. Is it a seasonal pool you only put together or fill for a few months out of the year? Or do you keep it running constantly? A permanent pool will need a much more powerful filter than a seasonal one.
- Decide whether or not the color matters to you. While some people don’t have a strong preference for the color of their swimming pool filters, if you’re concerned with the aesthetics of your backyard, shop around for a filter in the right color. You can find them in white, black, gray, and brown most commonly.
1. Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Pump Flow Rate Cartridge Filter
Do you have a small above ground swimming pool of the inflatable variety? If so, you don’t need anything too big and flashy, so you’re probably shopping for something affordable that can do the job well. With the Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Pump Flow Rate Cartridge Filter, you’ll be able to get all that and much more. This durable little filter pump works well with frame pools with a width of either 16 feet or 18 feet, and it can also be used with 20’ x 12’ oval pools. Bring one home for a pool you don’t use all year long.
2. Intex Krystal Clear 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate Filter
The Intex Krystal Clear 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate Filter is the perfect solution for anyone seeking a low-cost pool filter that gives you tons of great filtration backed by a well-known brand name. This filter works well with all of the affordable Intex brand above ground swimming pools, but it can also be used with similarly sized popup pools from other companies too. Pair it with any of your 18-foot swimming pools or set it up with a 10-foot oval pool instead. Although it isn’t designed for larger pools, it’s an excellent choice for smaller backyard pools.
- This filter is equipped with an air release valve, which makes it easier to remove any air that might build up inside the filter and cause potential damage.
- The filter includes very powerful suction so it can remove even larger debris from your pool easily.
- This easy-to-clean filter will make it easier than ever to rinse or replace your cartridge filter replacement.
- This filter does not come with everything you need to set it up. It comes with two hoses to hook up the filter as well as a single replacement cartridge, but it doesn’t come with any other needed cords or cables.
- According to some previous customers, this filter only has a couple of years of life in it before it starts to wear out.
- Some reports state that leaks are common in the pump housing chamber.
3. Intex 1500 GPH Easy Set Pool Filter
If you’re in the market for a good small filter that comes with plenty of cartridges to keep you filtering your pool water for a while, the Intex 1500 GPH Easy Set Pool Filter is a perfect choice. This filter pump has a lot of power for such a small model, and it’s perfect for 18-foot and 16-foot above ground swimming pools. However, if you have a smaller pool and you’re looking for a stronger filter you can use for even more powerful filtration, give this one a try too. This is one of the best filters for smaller pools simply because it isn’t too strong to keep from working but it still provides a lot of power to keep your water cleaner than ever before.
- All you have to do to install this filter is hook up the hoses into the correct locations and then plug the filter in.
- This filter pump is double insulated, which means it’s much safer to run and it’s much less likely to be damaged by weather or splashing pool water.
- This is a very low-cost filter, and since it comes with extra cartridges, it can be a great budget option.
- In order to use this filter with a popup pool that isn’t made by Intex, you’ll need to purchase a separate adapter piece.
- The filter doesn’t come with all the pieces you need to get started, and you’ll need to purchase pump valves and other cords separately.
- This model has been known to crack easily, especially when placed in direct sunlight for a long period of time.
4. 1000 GPH RP Filter Pump System
The 1000 GPH RP Filter Pump System is designed to replace popup above ground pool filters that stand alone. This is a good filter to choose if you’re looking for a slightly more powerful upgrade for your 18-foot above ground swimming pool. However, you can also use it with smaller pools if you’re looking for even more filtration, and you can go one size up if you don’t need as much power in your pool filter, too. This filter includes an adjustable water circulation nozzle to help you get the right amount of filtration without too much disruption in your water.
- This filter comes complete with all necessary clamps, hoses, fittings, and a single cartridge replacement.
- You can easily find adapters that will help you use this filter with many different brands of above ground popup pools.
- This is a fairly quiet filter pump that doesn’t overwhelm your backyard with noise while it’s running.
- Some of these filters have had such powerful seals that it can be difficult to take the covers off the cartridge chambers. With a little elbow grease, however, this problem can be solved.
- Replacement parts for this filter can be difficult to find if you don’t have a dedicated pool supply store in your area.
- The cartridge section of this filter has been known to develop small cracks and leaks.
5. Hayward C550 Easy-Clear Filter
Choose the Hayward C550 Easy-Clear Filter when you’re looking for a sleek and sophisticated filter that won’t break the bank. This is a very powerful little filter that looks as good as it operates as it stands beside your swimming pool. With its black and white design and its simple single piece setup, you’re sure to be pleased with this water filter from the moment you open the box. Use this strong filter with a 55-square foot in ground or above ground swimming pool.
- This filter comes equipped with a simple lid design that makes it easy to open it up and visually check the status of the cartridge inside.
- The filter is designed with plenty of safety nozzles and latches to keep you from installing it incorrectly even if you’ve never worked with a pool filter before.
- The filter includes everything you need to get started—even a pressure gauge to help you keep track of the water pressure.
- The filter doesn’t come with a base for mounting purposes or any adapters to use it with non-Hayward swimming pools.
- It may be difficult to find replacement cartridges for this type of filter.
- The filter, as well as replacement cartridges, may be too expensive for some budgets.
6. Waterway Cartridge Above Ground Pool Filter System
If you’re looking for a great, powerful pool cartridge filter system for your above ground pool, the Waterway Cartridge Above Ground Pool Filter System is the perfect solution for you. This is a good, low-cost filter that’s designed to last for a long time no matter what type of above ground pool you have. It works best in smaller pools that equal about 50 square feet, or about 18 feet long. This small but durable filter comes with all necessary hoses, a power cord, a pump with a single cartridge replacement, and a basic three-prong plug.
- The debris basket that comes with this filter cartridge system is see-through which makes it easier to tell when it needs to be cleaned out.
- The suction from the filter attachment is very strong and capable of filtering even larger debris.
- Customer service from Waterway is great and the company is willing to work to solve any issues that might arise.
- The cord that comes along with this cartridge filter is only three feet long, which might make it difficult to place.
- This is a small filter that works best with above ground pools and shouldn’t be used with in ground pools.
- For its size, this filter could be a little expensive for certain budgets.
7. Cartridge Filter System for 50 Sq Feet
For mid-size pools that are either above ground or in ground, look no further than this Cartridge Filter System for 50 Sq Feet filter. Although this filter is designed to work best with a 50 square foot swimming pool, it can actually be used interchangeably from sizes ranging from 15 feet wide to 25 feet wide, depending on your pool’s specific needs.
- This filter has enough power to clean up a large swimming pool but is small enough to work for even a simple popup if you have the right adapters.
- The filter comes with a strong motor that is sure to last for years to come.
- Opening this filter to clean and replace the cartridge piece is very simple and straightforward.
- Replacement parts and cartridges for this filter can be very difficult to find, especially if you prefer to purchase them offline.
- The pressure gauge has been known to malfunction in some instances with this filter.
- Some of the plastic used in the making of this filter is thinner and a bit lower-quality than other filters listed here.
8. Hayward C4001575XES Easy-Clear Pool Filter
Choose the Hayward C4001575XES Easy-Clear Pool Filter when you’re looking for an aesthetically pleasing filter that can get the job done right. This filter pump is very easy to clean and maintain, and it’s designed to be used either year-round or as part of a seasonal swimming pool setup. You can filter the water in just about any pool when you go with this filter, and you should see a lot of savings when it comes to buying replacement cartridges with it, too.
- When you purchase this filter, you’ll be buying from a well-known and respected brand name with excellent customer service.
- The filter can be set up to run on a timer for as little or as long as necessary to get the pool clean and clear every day.
- It’s safe to use this filter along with pool treatment chemicals.
- Replacement cartridges and parts can be very hard to find and may be quite expensive.
- Although this is a larger and slightly more expensive filter than some of the others listed here, it still might not be powerful enough for pools over 25 feet.
- The top lid piece has been known to crack and break when exposed to a lot of direct sunlight.
9. Pentair 160316 Clean & Clear 100 GPM Pool Filter
If you’re in the market for a very affordable and very powerful pool filter, the Pentair 160316 Clean & Clear 100 GPM Pool Filter is a great choice for you. This filter is designed to work with larger pools starting at 25 feet in length and going up from there, but you can use it with mid-sized pools as well if you’re looking for a lot of extra filtration. This is a strong filter that has made a big splash in the market and continues to be one of the most popular low-cost filters in a larger size available.
- This filter is incredibly easy to clean and simple when it comes time to replace the filter cartridge, too.
- For a larger sized filter, this is the most affordable good quality option on the market today.
- Even the most contaminated and dirty of pools can be easily cleaned after one or two full runs with this excellent filter.
- In this model, the pressure gauge has been known to quit working sooner than the rest of the filter.
- The filter doesn’t come with everything required to mount and install the product, although it does come with all parts needed to assemble the actual filter.
- This filter may be less aesthetically pleasing to some than others on the market, simply because it is a unique shade of brown.
10. Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 Square Foot Filter
The Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120 Square Foot Filter is a strong filter made to work with mid-size to larger swimming pools. It’s built to last and comes equipped with a single-piece design that includes the base, making this a very safe pool filter to have installed. The included cartridge has a double-reinforced core that gives you plenty of strength and an even more powerful flow to ensure proper filtration even in a larger swimming pool. The design features a locking knob function that removes the need for any additional bolts or attachment clamps.
- You can easily position filter as needed to make it easy for you to read the pressure gauge while the filter does its job.
- The filter system comes with an included filter replacement cartridge, and it’s fairly easy to find more replacements as needed.
- The filter comes with a few holes to allow you to bolt it down to the ground if you so choose, but it isn’t required for it to function.
- In some instances, this product has been known to arrive broken. However, customer service is very good with Hayward and getting replacements when this happens is very simple.
- The included O-rings may rust quickly if they aren’t regularly checked.
- The product has been known to develop leaks around the O-rings, especially when they aren’t tightened properly.
11. Waterway PCCF-100 Pro-Clean Cartridge Filter
The No products found. is a sleek, sophisticated, and very powerful pool filter that is sure to last you for a long time to come. This filter is available in a solid black design that looks elegant when installed alongside your above ground swimming pool. Take note that this filter does not include the pump feature needed to operate it, and is only a standalone cartridge filter. Even so, it’s sure to prove its worth as a well-functioning part of your swimming pool setup, whether you have a permanent above ground pool or a pop-up model instead.
- The filter cartridge features a locking mechanism to hold it together and keep everything in place without the need for tools.
- This filter is designed to work interchangeably with just about any 1-horsepower pump for just about any model of an above ground pool.
- Comes equipped with a pre-installed pressure gauge to make maintenance and safe operation easy and more affordable.
- Since this filter doesn’t come with the pump or many of the hoses needed to hook it up, the high price might turn off some buyers.
- The locking mechanism may develop some stress cracks over time, especially when screwed in too tightly.
- There is no easy view built in to check on the status of your cartridge, so you’ll need to take the filter apart to check on it every time.
12. Pentair 160355 Clean & Clear RP Fiberglass Reinforced Pool Filter
When you need a strong filter to hold up to regular outdoor use even in potentially bad weather, go for the Pentair 160335 Clean & Clear RP Fiberglass Reinforced Pool Filter. This is a strong filter that, like the name says, is reinforced with fiberglass to keep it from becoming too badly damaged even in extenuating circumstances. It’s easy to install and even easier to check on the cartridge media inside. When it comes time to clean this filter system, you won’t need any tools to take it apart and get the job done quickly and easily.
- This filter comes completely ready to install with all necessary pieces to get started right away.
- Works well with swimming pools regardless of the material they are made out of.
- Very easy to clean, take apart, maintain, and repair even if you’ve never worked with pool filters before.
- Since this filter doesn’t come with the pump or many of the hoses needed to hook it up, the high price might turn off some buyers.
- O-rings may need to be replaced after a short amount of time, and they may be hard to fit on as needed.
- In some rare cases, the included pressure gauge may arrive cracked.
13. Pentair 160317 Clean & Clear 150 GPM Pool Filter
The Pentair 160317 Clean & Clear 150 GPM Pool Filter is a beautiful and powerful solution for mid-sized above ground swimming pools. You can use it along with a pop-up pool, but it does its best work when installed with a permanent above ground fixture. It comes in one single piece with a simple removable filter cartridge, and of course, it includes one cartridge to help you get started. This filter comes in a light beige color with black accents to look natural in your backyard.
- Comes with all necessary connections required to set it up immediately and get started filtering right away.
- Very simple and easy to install quickly even with no prior experience.
- Sure to last for several years as long as you keep up with regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Does not come with the motor needed to operate this filter, and this piece will need to be purchased separately.
- Some filters may leak around the O-ring, regardless of how loosely or tightly they are put together.
- Some filters have been known to crack very easily after only a few weeks of operation.
14. Blue Wave 90-Square Feet Cartridge Filter System
Small-sized swimming pools have their own specific needs, and with the blue Wave 90-Square Feet Cartridge Filter System, you can exceed those needs spectacularly. This filter pump system is perfect for those smaller pools that end up getting used a lot, and it’s especially nice for large families with little ones who might accidentally spill something in the pool or jump in when covered in sunscreen. Even though this filter is made for smaller pools, it can hold up to a lot of use and continue to be an important part of your backyard setup for years to come.
- Replacement cartridges are fairly universal for this filter model and you can often use them from any brand interchangeably.
- Designed to be very easy to clean and maintain on a regular basis.
- Cleans up even the dirtiest of pool water in only a couple of cycles.
- This is a lesser-known brand name than some of the others listed here, which might be a deciding factor for some shoppers.
- This filter may be a little more difficult to install than some of the others on this list.
- Since this is a smaller filter, it may not be powerful enough for mid-sized swimming pools.
15. Hayward CC10092S Above ground Xstream 100-Square-Foot Filter
When you have an above ground swimming pool you use all year long—or even for several seasons out of the year—you need a filter system that can handle being operated for so long regardless of the weather. You need a filter that isn’t going to give up on keeping your water clean when it’s been used for more than a few months. For the perfect solution to this situation, choose the Hayward CC10092S Above ground Xstream 100-Square-Foot Filter. This attractive black and white filter system looks great attached to any swimming pool, and it’s easy to modify to use with any pop-up or more permanent above ground pool system.
- The flush-mounted pressure gauge isn’t likely to get damaged in transit or during regular operation.
- Comes with cords and hoses needed to set it up right away.
- Includes the cartridge filter section as well as the pump so you don’t have to worry about picking up both separately.
- Doesn’t come with an included timer, although it can be used along with one purchased separately.
- The motor has been known to have a strange, loud noise when operating for the first several cycles.
- Included strainer basket has been known to have trouble fitting into the unit properly.
16.Waterways Clearwater II 75 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter System
Do you have a small swimming pool you want to keep as clean as possible for as long as possible? With the Waterways Clearwater II 75 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter System, you can do yourself, your family, and your small above ground pool z favor and keep the water fresh and clean at all times. This filter can be used year round, but works best when you incorporate it into a seasonal swimming pool system. It comes in a cool gray color that blends well into any outdoor setting or screened patio.
- Comes with the right size motor for this particular pump so you don’t have to make these purchases separately.
- Can be attached with a simple hose or used with a PVC pipe connection instead for a much more durable and permanent setup.
- Lasts for a long time even when used year-round.
- Doesn’t come with connection hoses, water return valve, or clamps for attaching to the pool, so these will be extra expenses when going with this filter.
- Since this is a smaller pool filter, it might be too expensive for the size for some shoppers.
- This filter cannot be modified for use with an in ground swimming pool.
17. Waterway BS5205140-6S Blue Star Clearwater II Filter System
Choose the Waterway BS5205140-6S Blue Star Clearwater II Filter System when you want to provide the cleanest, most sparkling clear water for your small above ground and pop-up swimming pool. This filter is not designed to work with permanent in ground pools, but it’s the perfect choice when you’ve got a small pool you only use for part of the year. Although it’s a little more expensive than some of the other small pool filters listed here, the long life and durable components of this filter are sure to be well worth the cost.
- This is one of the best filters on the market for smaller size above ground swimming pools, and it has the Hayward brand name to back it up.
- Great for regular use all season long without needing to turn it off or recharge it.
- Comes with an included pump, which can save you a lot of money.
- Although it comes with the required cord and one cartridge filter to get started, you’ll still need to purchase connection hoses and valves before you can use it.
- Doesn’t feature more than a single pump speed.
- Doesn’t come with a timer to monitor the on/off cycle of the pump motor.
18. Hayward CC15093S Xstream Full-Flo 150-Square-Foot Horsepower Filter
The Hayward CC15093S Xstream Full-Flo 150-Square-Foot Horsepower Filter is a strong pool filter that’s designed to hold up to just about anything you can throw at it. This is a sturdy filtration system that is reinforced against weathering as well as other types of damage, and it promises to ensure a longer filtration life for the whole system as well as for its individual cartridges. This pool filter is made for above ground swimming pools and can be left out even in inclement conditions all year round if necessary.
- The tank of this pool filter is reinforced with glass to keep it from corroding or even building up deposits over time from hard water.
- You can use this filter in large swimming pools even when you operate them regularly.
- Capable of filtering most visible sediments out of pool water after only about a half hour to 45 minutes of running time.
- Since this filter is designed for above ground swimming pools only, it really isn’t made to work well with permanent in ground pools, so you’ll need to look elsewhere if that’s what you’re shopping for.
- The included O-rings might not be large enough to work properly and may need to be replaced with a slightly larger option.
- Included hoses may break easily and need to be replaced with more durable hoses after a short period of time.
19. Hayward C17502S Star-Clear Plus 175-Square-Foot Cartridge Filter
If you’re searching for a filter pump system that’s as easy to put together as it is to use, look no further than the Hayward C17502S Star-Clear Plus 175-Square Foot Cartridge Filter. This is a very powerful filter that can work with swimming pools in a mid-size range, although it may also be able to be used with smaller pools when you need a little extra filtration. Best of all, if you have family pets, this is a great filter solution that can handle pet hair when your furry friends decide to join you for a swim.
- Durable design features a single piece molded style that includes the filter as well as its base so you never have to worry about attaching the pump to a separate piece.
- This filter is designed to fit together perfectly simply by snapping and locking in place without the need for extra bolts and screws.
- This is a very easy to clean filter that can be taken apart without any tools.
- Extra-large sized filter cartridge replacements for this unit may be very difficult to find.
- The filter may need to be bolted to a patio or other flat surface depending on the type of setup you have, even though it has its own base.
- The filter may develop stress cracks, especially in the places where the locking pieces fit together.
20. Waterways Clearwater II 200 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
For an excellent pool filter solution that’s sure to pump plenty of water for most pool sizes, go with the Waterways Clearwater II 200 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter. This powerful little filter pump may be on the high end of some budgets, but it is a great upgrade filter when you’re tired of dealing with the frequent cartridge replacements that come with some of the lower-cost models. This filter is available in an attractive cool gray color that is sure to blend in well with just about any outdoor aesthetics.
- This filter pump includes a much more powerful motor than many of the other filters on this list.
- Easy to install and just as easy to modify to fit just about any swimming pool of the appropriate size.
- Includes a built-in pressure gauge so you don’t have to worry about installing one separately yourself.
- This filter doesn’t come with all the pieces you need to get started, and you’ll need to purchase a connection hose and water return valve separately.
- May be too expensive for some budgets.
- Replacement filters may be a little more expensive than some other brands, although they do usually last much longer.
21. Hayward C2002 200 Square Feet Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
For the perfect above ground pool experience, look no further than the Hayward C2002 200 Square Feet Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter. This is a great solution for mid-sized swimming pools that you use either seasonally or year-round. Plus, with its sleek matte black finish, it looks great in any yard.
- Single piece design makes assembling and installing this filter a breeze.
- Cleaning and regular maintenance are quick and easy with this simple lid-locking filter.
- Works well on above ground pools and may be able to be used with in ground pools with some modifications.
- Depending on your yard setup, you might need to bolt this filter to the ground regardless of its included base.
- This may be a very expensive product to use for an above ground pool, depending on your needs.
- This filter doesn’t come with all the pieces you need to hook it up and get started.
22. Pentair PNCC0100OE1160 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter System
This stylish filter No products found. System is a great option for above ground swimming pools that need a slightly stronger pump than those that might come with your initial pool setup. When you’re looking to upgrade your system, this is a good second stage filter. It can even filter out hard to clean substances like sunscreen, suntan oil, and more with ease.
- Comes with the pump and everything else you need.
- Sleek design that blends in well to most backyard settings.
- Easy to take apart for cleaning and maintenance without the use of many tools.
- This filter is designed for use with above ground pools only.
- Coreless filter media may be difficult to find when it comes time to replace it.
- The locking mechanism may be difficult to close properly without making it too tight or too loose.
23. Jandy CS250 250-Square-Foot Single Element Cartridge Filter
No matter what type of pool you need to filter, this Jandy CS250 250-Square-Foot Single Element Cartridge Filter system is a great choice for you. Although it might be a little too strong for some of the smaller above ground pool models and pop-up pools, it’s excellent for larger and in ground pool setups. It’s available in several sizes and looks great no matter which one you end up choosing.
- This filter is available in many different sizes to help you find the perfect one for your specific pool needs.
- You can use these filters with both above ground and in ground swimming pools, as well as with seasonal and year-round pools.
- Very easy to install even with no experience.
- May be more expensive than other, comparable filter models on the market.
- Doesn’t come with the valve needed to connect it, although it does come with all other parts.
- Larger models may run a little bit noisy compared to the smaller models.
24. Hayward C2025 SwimClear 225-Square-Foot Cartridge Pool Filter
When you find yourself in need of a very powerful, large in ground pool filter system, the No products found. is the perfect solution! This filter is designed for use with some of the largest in ground and permanent above ground pools on the market today. Set it up and see for yourself what a difference it can make in the quality of your pool water.
- This filter is designed to be energy-efficient and cut back on both your water and electric bill.
- Can be used interchangeably with larger above ground pools or in ground swimming pools as well.
- Reinforced interior can hold up to a lot of damage and frequent use.
- Draining water from the pool through this filter may be a little bit complicated.
- Installation can be difficult, especially when you don’t have prior pool filter installation experience.
- This filter is large and may be difficult to clean and maintain without the help of a pool technician.
25. Hayward C3030 325 Square Foot SwimClear Cartridge Filter
Do you have a very large swimming pool that needs a lot of high-powered filtration? With this Hayward C3030 325 Square Foot SwimClear Cartridge Filter, you can cycle through water in even the largest of in ground swimming pools with ease. Use it for your biggest pools or choose one of the smaller models to keep your mid-sized pool clearer and cleaner than you’ve ever expected.
- This filter is actually available in five different sizes, most of which are perfect for commercial swimming pools. The two smaller sizes are great for large residential pools.
- Designed to look beautiful and blend into your pool setting without drawing too much attention to itself.
- Although this is a large filter, it runs fairly quietly.
- The larger models of this filter need quite a lot of room to be set up and may be too large for many backyards.
- The side seams have been known to get weak after frequent use and develop leaks in some instances.
- May arrive broken or not completely put together.
26. Hayward CC100922S 100 Square Feet Above Ground Pool Filter
The Hayward CC100922S 100 Square Feet Above Ground Pool Filter is a very powerful filter system that comes complete with the proper pump to keep it running smoothly for years to come. Use it with above ground swimming pools or modify it for use with in ground pools of smaller sizes. With its extra-large body, it’s capable of filtering even the biggest and most difficult kinds of debris with ease.
- Comes with the pump, filter, hoses, and all necessary valves and connections.
- The filter can be set to either the low or the high setting depending on the size of your swimming pool.
- Capable of cleaning even the dirtiest of pool water in about an hour of running.
- This filter is not designed for use with pop-up swimming pools and may be dangerous if you choose to use it with one.
- When running at high speed, this can be a noisy filter system.
- O-ring seal has been known to develop leaks very quickly even when installed correctly.
27. Hayward CC150932S 150 Square Feet 2 Speed Pump
The Hayward CC150932S 150 Square Feet 2 Speed Pump comes with both a high and a low setting to help you get the proper amount of filtration for your above ground swimming pool with no problem. If you’re looking for the top-of-the-line model of above ground pool filters, this one may be the perfect filter for you. Its large tank is capable of moving a lot of water through it quickly for efficient and powerful cycling every time.
- This filter is reinforced to reduce the risk of calcium build-up due to hard water or corrosive damage inside the tank.
- Comes with the necessary pump and all equipment needed to get started right away.
- Runs very quietly despite its larger size.
- Cannot be used in in ground swimming pools and is designed for above ground and pop-up use only.
- For a mid-size pool filter, some buyers may find this model too expensive for what it does.
- May be difficult to find replacement cartridge filters for this model.
28. Pentair Sta-Rite SRPLM100OE1260 Above-Ground Cartridge Filter System
Choose the Pentair Sta-Rite SRPLM100OE1260 Above-Ground Cartridge Filter System when you want to make an excellent pool filter upgrade you’ll never look back from. This system comes with a high-capacity pump that makes it a great solution for larger swimming pools and also allows you to use it on mid-size pools for the cleanest water you’ve ever experienced.
- Comes with the necessary pump included already, as well as all needed parts.
- Sleek black color stands out from many of the other filters listed here in terms of aesthetics.
- Can be used with many different brands of replacement cartridges.
- This filter may be a little too small for the price, as it can’t be used in larger swimming pools.
- Designed for use on above ground swimming pools, the filter may not work well in in ground pools.
- This filter may develop stress cracks fairly often when used in direct sunlight.
29. Pentair 160340 Clean & Clear 320 Square Feet Filter
If you’re in need of a strong, sturdy filter that can be used year-round for just about any type of swimming pool, the Pentair 160340 Clean & Clear 320 Square Feet Filter is sure to be just what you’re looking for. Available in a clean, crisp white with black accents, this filter system can be installed fairly easily and kept up for years without needing to be replaced or repaired.
- Works well with any pool cleaning chemicals and other products you might choose to use in your swimming pool.
- Filter cleaning is easy to do without the need for any backwashing.
- Although this is a large filter, it’s pretty easy to clean and maintain as needed.
- May not have the most appealing design with the input and output ports on the same side of the filter.
- Has been known to have trouble getting the water clean without frequent repeated cycles.
- Pressure valve arrives broken on many of these filters due to poor packaging.
30. Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus 420 Square Feet Filter
Large in ground residential swimming pools can be difficult to filter properly, whether you have them set up in your open backyard or as part of a covered patio. This Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus 420 Square Feet Filter can do the job well without the use of diatomaceous earth. Despite its large size and industrial strength, this filter still operates on cartridges, which makes it affordable and easy to run.
- Works well in many different pool sizes depending on your specific needs.
- Operates without diatomaceous earth, which is a concern for some individuals.
- Has been known to last up to ten years of seasonal use.
- This is a large and heavy filter that may be difficult to work with for regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Pressure gauge has been known to arrive broken and the filter has been known to arrive with surface scratches.
- May be difficult to install properly with the right seal due to the tightness of the included parts.
31. Sta-Rite S7M120 System 300 Square Feet Filter
Although the Sta-Rite S7M120 System 300 Square Feet Filter is one of the more expensive products on this list, it remains one of the most popular as well due to its powerful filtration and ability to be used with just about any mid to large residential swimming pool. Choose this filter system and see for yourself what a difference the Sta-Rite brand can make.
- This filter system includes everything you need to get started, including the top and bottom of the filter system as well as required connections, O-rings, and spare filters.
- Designed to last and has been known to hold up for up to ten years of repeated seasonal use.
- Very easy to install even if you don’t have a lot of previous experience with pool filters.
- You will be required to cycle your pool water at least once a day with this filter, whether you think it needs it or not.
- This is an expensive filter model that may be too pricey for some budgets.
- Some individual filters have been known to arrive without the clamps included, although the company will send replacements at no extra charge.
32. Hayward C4025 SwimClear 425 Square Foot Cartridge Pool Filter
When you have an in ground swimming pool you operate all year long, you need a strong filter to back it up. The No products found. can do all that and much more. Use it on its own or in conjunction with any pool cleaning chemicals or other products you might want to use to keep your water sparkling from year to year.
- The filter cleaning process is very quick and easy with this particular model.
- The filter comes from the well-known Hayward brand, which means you always have their excellent customer service at your disposal as needed.
- Since this is such a durable filter, it only needs to be cleaned a few times a year at most.
- The included pressure gauge has been known to arrive broken during shipping, but the company will send a replacement quickly at no cost.
- Connections may need to be slightly modified to work with older swimming pools and pumps.
- This is a very expensive filter model that may be outside of some budgets.
33. Zodiac CV460 Versa Plumb Cartridge Filter 460 Square Feet
As the most expensive product on this list, the Zodiac CV460 Versa Plumb Cartridge Filter 460 Square Feet model may not be for everyone. However, although this is a powerful and pricey filter, it can provide some of the best, cleanest water over and over again. It’s designed to last for a long time and be fairly affordable and easy to clean and maintain for many years to come.
- Comes with a long-lasting warranty backed up by excellent customer service.
- Can be used to connect with other products from the same company to create the best and most powerful filtration setup around.
- Designed to be resistant to both corrosion and UV light, which makes it perfect for year-round outdoor use.
- This is an incredibly expensive cartridge filter that is more likely to be used for a commercial swimming pool than a residential one.
- This is a very heavy product, which may increase the cost even more due to the price of shipping.
- This filter can be very hard to take apart for regular cleaning and maintenance without the proper tools and education.
There are a lot of swimming pool cartridge filter systems available on the market today! If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed by so many brand names, models, and numbers, don’t worry. It can be a little daunting to find the right cartridge filter, but the first thing you have to do to help you narrow down your decisions is to simply figure out how large your pool is. From there, you’ll be able to make the choice between several of the best and more durable products on the market in your specific swimming pool size.
So which pool filter is the best one for you? There are a lot of factors that play into your final decision, but I’ve picked my top choices from each price category. Check them out below:
- $ - Intex 1500 GPH Easy Set Pool Filter – This product is a good affordable pool filter. Although you will need to buy some extra pieces to get started, it’s double insulated and comes with extra filters, so you can make up for the extra cost in the long run.
- $$ - Hayward C1200 Star-Clear 120 Square Foot Filter – This filter may need replacement O-rings, but otherwise it’s a great solution for a mid to low price filter. It works for a wide range of pool sizes and is backed by great customer service.
- $$$ - Hayward CC15093S XStream Full-Flo 150-Square-Foot Horsepower Filter – With a simple hose upgrade from the ones included with this filter set, you can have a system that works beautifully and lasts for years to come.
- $$$$ - Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus 420 Square Feet Filter – This is a very large filter, but for the price, it’s a great option. You can use it for up to ten years in most cases and may only need to replace the pressure gauge during that time.
- $$$$$ - Sta-Rite S7M120 System 300 Square Feet Filter – Though this filter is a little small for its price, it’s still big enough for most backyard pools. It’s easy to install, comes with everything you need, and lasts for years.
No matter which filter you end up going with, know that you’re making an excellent decision to keep yourself and your family safe. The cleaner your pool water is, the better off you’ll be, and your swimming season is sure to be fun and worry-free when you have the perfect pool filter in place.
Enter your text here...
Last update on 2020-02-20 at 02:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.