Get your Pool Filter Sand (BEST SWIMMING FILTERS MEDIA) today! See the best sand media on Amazon for home swimming pools and more! ***See more on POOL FILTER SAND below***
Our Choice Recommendation
- Ecologically safe sand does not solidify and will help prevent clogging and channeling
- 100% natural sand is chemical free and backwashes easily and evenly
- Filters out insects, leaves, oils, dirt, dust, hair and algae from pool water
Do you want the cleanest pool on the block? Are you interested in using a sand or diatomaceous earth filter to make that happen? Do you want to know more about the many different Amazon sand products available to you when choosing the right type of filter media for one of these popular filters?
In this article, you’ll explore the 11 of the best pool filter media choices on the market today. Whether you’re looking for sand, earth, or something entirely different, you’ll find it on this list, and you’ll be able to compare and contrast it to other types of filter media to figure out which one is best for your specific needs. By the time you get through this article, you should be ready to purchase the perfect product for your pool to help keep it running smoothly and cleanly for a long time to come. So let’s get started!
Best Pool Filter Media
In this section, you’ll be able to look for the perfect pool sand filter replacement or alternative to DE for your pool filter. Check out the many Amazon sand products available to you and don’t be afraid to compare and contrast your favorites to help you choose.
Sand Filter Media
Sand / Media on Amazon #1
Pool Filter Sand #20 Grade Silica Sand
This Pool Filter Sand #20 Grade Silica Sand is a great alternative to traditional pool sand that doesn’t deviate too far from the normal standard in this type of filtration. This natural sand is always free from any chemicals that could potentially harm you or your swimming pool, and it’s capable of intense filtration that can help you get rid of even the most difficult to fight contaminants and bacteria in your pool water. Best of all, since this sand is very fine grained, it won’t back up or clog in your filter, which is sure to make you happy as your pool water will stay clean and clear without any potential issues arising.
- Very clean sand is well-packaged in a durable bag that is almost always in great shape on arrival.
- #20 sand is meant to work with just about any type of pool filter, which makes it great for universal use.
- This product can even be used in some aquariums to provide great filtration and even a substrate.
- Some very fine particles may drift into your pool water, but this will usually stop after a few cycles.
- May not work well with very low-budget pool filters that cannot handle the finer grain on this sand.
- May be more expensive than some of the other products listed here.
Sand / Media on Amazon #2
Arch Chemical 61308 HTH Pool Filter Sand
You can’t go wrong with good old-fashioned cheap pool filter sand in your sand filter. With this large bag of Arch Chemical 61308 HTH Pool Filter Sand to help you get started, you’ll be well on your way to a cleaner, healthier, much more well-filtered swimming pool experience in no time. Simply add the proper amount of this easy to use pool sand to your filter, let it cycle a couple of times, and get ready for comfortable swimming without having to worry about replacing pesky cartridge products over and over again all summer long. This 50 pounds (lbs) bag is sure to help you keep your water clean for a long time to come!
- This is one of the best-selling products on the market today, so you know you’ll be getting a great item when you purchase this sand.
- Great for interchangeable use between hot tubs, home swimming pools, and even home aquariums.
- This Amazon sand product is a very easy to use product that provides a perfect starting point for newcomers to the world of sand filters.
- Packaging may be weak and has been known to arrive broken and leaking.
- Sand may be very heavy, which can increase the price due to the cost of shipping.
- Storage may be difficult, as some rodents and insects will find their way into sand when not kept in an airtight container.
Sand / Media on Amazon #3
Filter Glass Alternative Filter Media for Pool Sand Filters
While filter glass isn’t as sharp and painful as it might sound, it is a great product that’s designed to provide even more excellent filtration for your swimming pool than other types of sand might. This Amazon sand product for home is made of silica just like other types of pool sand, but it’s put through different processes to make it slightly different in terms of texture and filtration. This makes it better than most types of products at removing waterborne illnesses like E. coli that may be difficult for other types to effectively get rid of in your water. You can find this Amazon sand product anywhere you find pool filter sand for sale.
- Incredible product that gets even the dirtiest of water crystal clear with just a few cycles.
- This choice often cleans pool water well enough that you won’t need to use harsh treatment chemicals any longer.
- You will only have to buy about half the amount of FilterGlass as you would pool sand.
- Can be much more expensive than some of the other products listed here, especially for long-term use.
- Your filter must be completely cleaned out before you use this product, and you cannot have a trace of traditional pool sand in the filter or it won’t work properly.
- Backwashing may take a little longer with this Amazon sand product for home than with traditional pool sand.
Sand / Media on Amazon #4
In the Swim Filterballs Blue Advanced Replacement Filter Media
In the Swim Filterballs Blue Advanced Replacement Filter Media additives are a new product that have been taking the world of pool filtration by storm. These excellent little balls can be added to your filter and are designed to do all the work a larger and bulkier product can do without having to spend a lot of money or waste a lot of space on storage, either. These filterballs are designed to last for several years at a time without needing to be replaced, and best of all, a single lb. of them is capable of being used as an alternative to a full 100 pounds (lbs) of traditional pool sand! If you prefer not to buy pool filter sand in huge quantities, this solution might be right for you.
- This lightweight product makes it easy to pick up the bag as well as the filter tank as needed.
- Cycles through very quickly and provides very clean water without a long wait time.
- Backwashes and cleans the same way as traditional pool sand, so there’s no difficult learning curve with this unique product.
- Only lasts for a part of the season and will often need to be replaced before your swimming season is done.
- Filterballs often wash out during backwashes, which may end up costing you more in the long run.
- May not work with all types of filters, pumps, or salt generators.
Sand / Media on Amazon #5
ZeoSand Alternative Pool Sand Filter Media
When you want a great swimming pool filter sand replacement product that won’t take up nearly as much space in your storage, you need this ZeoSand Alternative Pool Sand Filter Media right away. ZeoSand is an excellent product that can be used in place of pool sand and is capable of reducing the amount you need by half. This means that if you usually purchase 100 pounds (lbs) of pool sand, you’ll only need to stock up on 50 pounds (lbs) of ZeoSand to do the same job even better. With this large bag, you’ll be good to go!
- Excellent customer service and quality control that work together to ensure that your questions are answered and your experience is a good one.
- Lasts for up to 5 years without needing to be replaced completely.
- Easy to pour into your filter and use without having to take anything apart.
- You will need to completely backwash your old pool sand out of your filter until it’s clear before you use this choice, or you’ll have cloudy water.
- Has been known to arrive in boxes that are damaged or leaking.
- This Amazon sand product is a very expensive product, although you won’t have to replace it as often and will save money in the long run.
Earth for Pool Filters
Sand / Media on Amazon #6
Fiber Clear 4009DC Cellulose Fiber Media DE Alternative for Swimming Pools
This affordable little bag is a great way to get all the benefits of using a DE filter with none of the hassle or health concerns associated with diatomaceous earth. With this Amazon sand product, you can easily add the Fiber Clear 4009DC Cellulose Fiber Media DE Alternative for Swimming Pools to your filter and never again have to worry about using something potentially harmful and toxic in your pool water. This small bag is a great way to give this Amazon sand product for home a try without necessarily having to commit to a large size until you’re ready.
- You can use this choice with cartridge filters as well as with sand or DE filters to provide incredibly clear, clean water no matter what.
- Less likely to clog up your filter than traditional diatomaceous earth may be.
- Very easy to use by simply opening the bag and pouring it directly into your filter without having to take anything apart.
- May not be a great product for long-run use, since it’s a small bag intended for a single dose.
- May cause water to become filmy or cloudy for a few days, especially after the first use.
- This Amazon sand product for home has been known to cause rare issues with older model pool pumps.
Sand / Media on Amazon #7
EZ-DE Swimming Pool Diatomaceous Earth Filter Media
Do you often find yourself struggling to find the right amount of DE to put in your filter after every backwash? Is it getting to be too complicated keeping track of the measurements and volumes you need to be concerned with? If so, the EZ-DE Swimming Pool Diatomaceous Earth Filter product is the best for you. This great bag of DE is available in individually packaged sizes to make it easier than ever before to add the right amount of earth product to your filter every time you clean it. Just open the bag and pour it in, and let EZ-DE do the hard part for you!
- Available in three different sizes to help you find the right amount for your pool: 36 square feet, 48 square feet, and 60 square feet.
- Easy to pour directly into your filter without having to worry about covering up your skin or taking care not to breathe in the DE powder.
- Cuts back on the need to store potentially dangerous DE powder that has already been opened somewhere children or pets could find it.
- Since each bag is an individual dose, this Amazon sand product may be more expensive in the long run than many others listed here.
- After the first use, this Amazon sand product for home may wash into the pool water slightly and cause cloudiness that will go away over time.
- Some bags have been known to arrive torn and leaking.
Sand / Media on Amazon #8
Pro Guard 23793BPG Cellulose Fiber
Sometimes, you may find yourself having some problems with diatomaceous earth. In some places, this Amazon sand product for home is considered to cause health risks and potentially dangerous waterborne illnesses. Even if you don’t believe DE is dangerous, you still might not want to use it simply because it costs quite a lot and a large amount of it is required every time you clean your filter. If this is the case, give the Pro Guard 23793BPG Cellulose Fiber product a try instead. This excellent product provides a great alternative to DE for your filter that won’t cost you a fortune.
- This choice is a very easy to use product that you can simply pour in and cycle once to get it started.
- This Amazon sand product is a less toxic type of product that isn’t damaging to people or to the environment.
- The product is completely biodegradable, which is even better for eco-friendly pool operation.
- May take several days to completely clear up your pool water, as this choice can cause a hazy film in the water at first.
- Some filter pumps are not compatible with cellulose fiber and may stop working shortly after use.
- Backwashing may take longer and require more hands-on work with this Amazon sand product than with traditional DE.
Sand / Media on Amazon #9
Perlite 4212 Filter Powder DE Alternative for Swimming Pools
Do you prefer to work with a product other than diatomaceous earth for your DE filter? If so, you might want to go with perlite instead. With the Perlite 4212 Filter Powder DE Alternative for Swimming Pools , you’ll be able to clean your pool water quickly and efficiently without having to use a huge amount of the product every time. Best of all, this product is capable of filtering down to 3 microns when you use it with a compatible filter, which makes it a great alternative for anyone looking to steer clear of the issues sometimes associated with diatomaceous earth.
- Perlite is much less likely to cause blockages in your product, which means smoother cycles and cleaner water all around.
- This media only takes an overnight cycle to completely overhaul even the murkiest of pool water.
- It usually takes about half as much perlite as it does DE for these types of filters to run properly.
- Can be a little more expensive than traditional DE for your filter.
- This Amazon sand product for home has been known to arrive with rips or tears in the bag, causing leakage.
- If you happen to accidentally spill the perlite, it will be difficult to clean up.
Sand / Media on Amazon #10
Splash 4025SPLASH Diatomaceous Earth Filter Media for Swimming Pools
Are you searching for a high-quality product that works great with just about any type of diatomaceous earth filter? Do you need something you can store safely without worrying about potential spills or damage happening to the product over time? If so, you need the Splash 4025SPLASH Diatomaceous Earth Filter Media for Swimming Pools right away. This media is designed to clean up your water almost instantly when you add the correct amount to your DE filter. Put it in the skimmer basket in your filter and watch it get to work for you right away!
- This media comes in either a 10 pounds (lbs) box or a 25 pounds (lbs) box to make it easy for you to choose the right amount for your needs.
- Very easy to install by simply adding it to the skimmer basket without having to take apart complicated filter parts.
- This high-quality product comes from a well-known brand name that is committed to great service and items.
- This choice is one of the more expensive types of diatomaceous earth product available on the market today.
- Some boxes have been known to arrive damaged or with torn bags inside.
- Bags of DE are not individually packaged but instead arrive in one large bag you’ll have to measure out on your own.
Sand / Media on Amazon #11
Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filter DE
When all you need is a great box of high-quality DE to help your diatomaceous earth filter get its job done correctly, look no further than this choice. This easy-to-use box of DE is available in a 25 pounds (lbs) variation to help you save money by buying it in bulk. Depending on the size of your pool, you may not need to use much at one time, so if you have a smaller pool, this can help you save even more money in the long run! When you want to run your DE filter the way it was intended to be used, this Amazon sand product is sure to help you do that efficiently.
- Produced by the HTH brand, which is well-known among pool filter products.
- Very easy to add to the filter by pouring it into the filter basket and letting it cycle a couple of times.
- Able to clear up a murky swimming pool in only one 24-hour cycle.
- Packaging may be difficult to handle and hard to measure appropriately.
- Boxes have been known to arrive ripped and torn, which can cause product leakage.
- When kept in storage for a very long period of time, these boxes have been known to become damaged and weak.
Last update on 2021-01-24 at 06:57 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.