Are you looking for the best way to offer ample filtration for your swimming pool?
Do you find that your pool just keeps getting cloudy, dirty, or slimy no matter what you do?
Is your current pump starting to have problems? Has it quit working altogether?
Our Top Recommendation
- Easy to use - simply replace the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks
- Double insulated pump
- Air release valve for air trapped inside filter chamber
There are a lot of reasons why you might be looking into filter pumps, and if you’re like most pool owners, one or more of these situations is sure to come up sooner or later. Unfortunately, especially when it comes to above-ground pools and even pop-up pools, the pumps that are included with these kits are usually a little on the weak side.
When you’re ready to upgrade your swimming pool filter pump, that’s where this article comes in! Below, you’ll get a quick crash course in everything you need to know about your filter pump. You’ll learn what it is, how it works, and how having one can make a difference for you.
In the second half of the article, you’ll find reviews for nine of the best filter pumps for swimming pools available. Whether your pool is small, medium, or large, you’ll be able to find the perfect pump for your backyard setup easily when you check out our list of recommendations.
Having the right size pool pump is a great way to provide crystal clear pool water all summer long. Let’s get started learning more about how to find the right filter pump for your needs.
Best Pool Filter Pumps
There are a lot of pool filter pumps for sale today, and when you first start shopping for them, you may feel as though they’re a little overwhelming. But don’t worry! We’re here to help you choose. Listed below are our top 9 picks for filter pumps. You can compare the strengths and weaknesses of each one and figure out what works best for your pool. Don’t be afraid to do a little shopping around, and be sure to check out each one before you make your final decision.
1. Aqua Leisure 1375 GPH Filter Pump
The Aqua Leisure 1375 GPH Filter Pump gives you a lot of power for not a lot of money. When you install this filter for pool pump use on your swimming pool, you can expect your water to be clean, clear, and ready for use in almost no time. It’s excellent for use in small to mid-size swimming pools, and it’s designed to operate quietly enough that you won’t have to worry about it interrupting your fun time by the pool. Whether your swimming pool is set up for the summertime or you plan to use it all year long in warmer climates, you can’t go wrong with this durable, lightweight, easy-to-use pool filter pump as part of your setup.
- This is the most affordable high-quality pool filter pump on our list, so it’s sure to fall into just about any pool owner’s budget.
- This filter works great with 14-foot swimming pools, but it can also be used with smaller pools when you need something a little more powerful to circulate your water for filtration.
- The filter set comes with hoses and hose clamps to make it very easy to set it up and get started cycling your water immediately.
- This filter doesn’t come from a brand name company, and this may be a negative for some customers.
- The filter doesn’t come with any extra fittings, gaskets, or rings that you might need to operate it.
- Although the filter comes with one cartridge filter to get you started, it’s not a great quality filter and it might not last you very long.
2. Pool Filter Cartridge Pump
Do you have a smaller or mid-size swimming pool that falls somewhere between ten feet and sixteen feet? Are you looking for a filter pump that can handle a good amount of water per cycle without getting overloaded? If so, this Pool Filter Cartridge Pump is a great choice for you! This pump is designed by Intex, which is one of the leading companies on the market today in terms of pool filtration products. The setup comes with everything you need to hook it up and use it right away, and best of all, it works just as well for pop-up swimming pools as it does for more permanent above-ground backyard pools. No matter what type of pool you’re looking to filter, this is a great place to get started.
- This filter is easy to install and even easy to adapt to fit existing pool hardware if necessary.
- This filter can be run 24 hours a day, every day, without having to worry about it overloading or shorting out.
- While operating, the filter is very quiet and won’t interrupt your swimming pool enjoyment with a lot of unwanted noise.
- This filter has been known to cause leaves and other large pieces of debris to make it past the skimmer and clog up the lines, so it may require more frequent maintenance checks than other filters.
- In some instances, pool owners have had trouble with the included plug tripping every time the filter cycles.
- Without proper maintenance and correct hookup, the pump may wear out very quickly.
3. Intex 330 GPH Easy Set Swimming Pool Filter Pump
Choose the Intex 330 GPH Easy Set Swimming Pool Filter Pump when you’re looking for a high-quality product for your smaller swimming pool that comes with everything you need to get started. All you have to do to set up this simple pool pump with filter attachments is affix the included hoses to the appropriate places, plug it in, and you’ll be ready to go. Although this is one of the smaller filters on our list, it still provides plenty of great filtration for small swimming pools. You might also get a lot of use out of it for a mid-sized pool that isn’t used too often. Best of all, this setup comes with six replacement cartridges so you don’t have to worry about any hidden costs when you’re first getting started with it. This is a great choice for anyone who is new to the world of filter pumps.
- This filter includes a circuit interrupter for safety purposes, and the filter will shut off if it’s exposed to too much water at once.
- The filter comes with an easy-to-use air release valve that makes cleaning very simple and quick.
- The included cartridges may be cleaned and reused a few times before you’ll need to completely replace them, which can help you cut costs in the long run.
- The included hose clamps have been known to be a little bit too loose for some swimming pools, and they may fall off easily.
- This filter pump is too small for many mid-size and larger pools since it only moves 330 gallons through during each cycle.
- Some of the included plastic pieces in the filter have been known to become broken or damaged during shipping.
4. Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump
The Intex brand is very popular among swimming pool products, and the Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump is easily one of the most widely-used filter pumps available today. The pump itself is designed to withstand even bad weather and frequent splashes from the nearby pool without rusting, corroding, or otherwise becoming damaged. This pool water filter pump system includes an easy-to-use sediment valve to help make cleaning much simpler than ever before, and it also includes an air release valve to improve the way you take care of your filter system. This is an excellent choice for larger swimming pools that come in around 18 feet in length or diameter.
- This is one of the most popular filter pump products available, so if you’re looking for something everyone else seems to be using with great success, it’s a good option.
- The included electrical cord is very long and gives you plenty of room to work with in terms of positioning your filter appropriately.
- This is a very strong filter that can handle larger swimming pools with no trouble.
- You may need to purchase additional items to help attach this filter pump if your pool isn’t the right size to work with the included fittings and hoses.
- The locking mechanism on the lid has been known to develop severe leaks after being opened and closed a few times.
- You may need to purchase a replacement o-ring very quickly for the lid to help keep it closed tightly.
5. Intex 1000 GPH Easy Set Pool Filter Pump
Choose the Intex 1000 GPH Easy Set Pool Filter Pump when you’re looking for an incredible product from a well-known and respected name brand. This product is comparable to the Easy Up pool filter pump and is designed for use with most standard size square, rectangular, round, or oval frame pools. However, you can use it with a variety of other types as well. It’s designed for use with Intex brand products, but since these are generally very universal in their components, you can use this filter system with just about any pool available on the market today. Best of all, the setup comes with everything you need to get started all packaged together in one handy set. Purchase this package and receive six replacement filters along with it, too.
- This filter pump system is double insulated, which means it’s much safer to operate in inclement weather than many of the others on the market today.
- The filter’s replacement cartridges and pieces are very easy to find and affordable to purchase if you should ever need to.
- The Intex company provides excellent customer service and troubleshooting help if you’re having any problems setting up your new filter.
- Depending on the size of your pool, this filter pump may be too small to handle the water load, and you may find yourself having to replace it fairly often.
- The included filter cartridges may not be as capable of filtration as some of the more expensive alternatives you can purchase separately.
- This filter pump may have trouble getting rid of severe algae problems in your swimming pool.
6. 1000 GPH RP Filter Pump System
Are you looking for an affordable and durable paddling pool filter pump that can give you tons of excellent filtration for many years to come? If so, check out this 1000 GPH RP Filter Pump System and see for yourself what makes this a popular choice for many pool owners. This pump comes with all the hoses, gaskets, fittings and more to get it hooked up right away to just about any of the most common types of swimming pools available on the market today. Best of all, it’s designed to offer maximum filtration without overloading the motor inside the pump, which means it will last you for a long time without fail.
- This filter works great for most small to mid-sized swimming pools and can be easily adapted to work with those that might have different sized fittings.
- The filter is very easy to install even without prior experience with pool filters.
- It’s very easy to find replacement cartridges and pieces for this filter pump.
- The filter doesn’t come with an included timer, so if you want to use one, it will be an additional purchase.
- The included cord may be too short for easy filter placement depending on the setup of your backyard.
- The filter has been known to develop leaks, especially around the gasket that closes the lid.
7. Intex 1500 GPH Easy Set Swimming Pool Filter Pump With Timer
Do you want to purchase a pool filter pump that’s not too expensive but is capable of handling a lot of water in a short amount of time? If so, the Intex 1500 GPH Easy Set Swimming Pool Filter Pump With Timer may be your answer. This pump can filter 1500 gallons of water per cycle, which is considerably more than many of the other pumps on the market today can handle. It’s designed to work with Intex brand swimming pools, but it’s easy to adapt it for use with other pools as well. And since it comes from the well-known Intex brand name, you know you can’t go wrong when you choose this powerful little filter to help clean your swimming pool.
- This filter is very simple to install, and you won’t need any special knowledge or experience to do so.
- The filter features a built-in double insulation to help prevent splashing water and inclement weather from causing any damage.
- The pump comes with everything you need to get started, including all the required hoses.
- If you don’t have an Intex pool, you may need to purchase an adapter to get this pump installed properly.
- The built-in timer has been known to short out in rare instances.
- In some cases, the product has been known to arrive damaged during shipping, but the company will take care of that if it happens.
8. Bestway 800 Gal Pool Filter Pump
The No products found. is the perfect choice when you’re looking for a strong filter that can handle a good-sized backyard pool but you don’t want to have to top out your budget to get it. While it works best with round pools, it can be used with any type of pool and is capable of filtering up to 800 gallons per hour with no trouble. This filter pump comes with just about everything you need to get started, and it’s a great option for anyone looking to try out one of these types of filters without having to commit to something more expensive. If you want to give it a try and see for yourself how great these filters can really be, this is the product for you.
- This small and lightweight filter pump is very easy to install and just as easy to clean.
- You can use this filter with many commercially available cartridges that shouldn’t be too difficult to find.
- This is a powerful filter that can clean the water in pools of many different sizes and shapes.
- This is not produced by a well-known brand name, so it may be overlooked by some pool owners.
- This product may need additional pieces or parts to be able to work with your existing pool setup.
- You may have more trouble with customer service with this product than you would with some of the others listed here.
9. 1000 GPH Skimmer Filter Pump
If you’re in the market for a pool filter pump that will work as an excellent upgrade from your current system, this 1000 GPH Skimmer Filter Pump is a great option for you. Although it comes in at the higher end of some pool budgets, it’s an incredible product that’s sure to last you a long time and help you provide cleaner, safer water to your friends and family every time your pool is in use. The pump comes with everything you need to get started, and it’s designed to work with just about any type of pool setup you might already have in place.
- This is both the pump and the skimmer, as well as all the other parts you need to correctly install this product without any additional help or purchases.
- It’s very easy to find replacement pieces and new cartridges for this type of pool filter pump.
- This is a small product that’s easy to work with and very simple to clean when the time comes.
- In some cases, you may need to buy extra adapters to make this product fit your existing pool setup.
- Without proper maintenance and operation, this filter pump may get damaged by inclement weather.
- This is the most expensive filter pump available on our list, and it may be too expensive for many pool owners to fit into their budgets.
What are Pool Filter Pumps?
If you already have a pool in your backyard, you’ve probably heard about pool filter pumps, but you might not have much of an idea what they are or how they work. And if you’ve never had a swimming pool before and you’re just getting started with one, this could be a new concept for you. No matter where you are in your level of pool ownership and expertise, it’s important to be sure you understand what your pool filter pump is and why it’s a part of your pool’s setup.
- Your swimming pool’s regular cycle starts by moving water from the pool through the skimmer and into your filter pump.
- Once the water is in the filter pump, it passes through a cartridge filter called the strainer. This is the first step in filtering your water, and it removes a lot of the larger pieces of debris.
- Next, the water is pushed through the pump and into the filter itself. This is when it comes into contact with whichever type of filter media you’ve chosen to use—sand, cartridge, or DE.
- If you have a heater, the water then heads there. It’s warmed up to the right temperature before moving on from this stage.
- From there, it goes to chlorinator or ozone filter, if you have one as part of your pool setup. If you don’t, the water just skips this step.
- Finally, your water makes its way back into your swimming pool. This all takes place as part of your regular pool cycle, and you probably won’t ever even notice it’s going on if your components are all working the way they should.
As you can see, without a filter pump installed, none of this cycle would be possible. This is a very important part of your pool.
Benefits to Choosing a Filter Pump
Choosing the right filter pump has a lot of benefits you’re sure to enjoy from the moment you get yours set up. Check out our list below to see what a difference this can make for you.
1. Your water will be cleaner before it ever reaches your filter.
Having a filter pump as part of your pool’s cycling system will keep debris like leaves, sticks, and other large items from getting into your pipes, lines, and pump.
2. If you use your pool a lot, it may be impossible to get your water completely clean without a pool filter pump.
Having this first line of filtration defense can make a huge difference in the cleanliness of your pool water after it moves through the whole cycling process.
3. Using a pool filter pump will extend the life of all of your pool components.
It will help your main filter media last much longer and will reduce the risk of damage to the other pieces of your pool setup, too.
There are a lot of pumps for pools and filters to choose from, but the first step to keep in mind is to narrow down your selections based on your pool size. If you have a large 18-foot pool, for example, you know you’re going to need something that works for sizes larger than ten feet in diameter. Once you’ve gotten your sizing figured out, it’s just a matter of choosing the filter that handles the right volume of water per cycle for the amount of usage your swimming pool regularly sees.
No matter which one you go with, any of the products on our list above are sure to give you maximum filtration and plenty of clean water to last your pool all summer—or all year!—long. Pick your favorite and enjoy the easy installation that comes along with every one of the products listed above. After that, all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy the water!
Last update on 2020-02-20 at 02:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.