If you need clean drinking water on demand, you should definitely consider a reliable refrigerator water filter. Refrigerator water filters filter out impurities by pushing all of the water through activated charcoal or carbon, which captures particles and pollutants and prevents them from moving further. They are a significantly less expensive alternative to bottled water for enjoying the taste of cold, pure water.
The word “aftermarket” refers to any item that is made for use with another product by a different company than the original product. For example, if you purchase a water filter from the GE brand name, but you buy a filter cartridge replacement from another company that isn’t part of GE, then this is an aftermarket filter.
Another term for aftermarket is “third-party.” When buying a refrigerator water filter, there’s no reason not to go with an aftermarket product as long as you can find one that fits your existing water filter device. It isn’t hard to find these filters, but it can take some time to locate the right model for your needs.
In this article, we’ll show you some of the best aftermarket refrigerator water filters you can choose from to get your water clean and fresh in no time.
Take a look at some of our top picks below:
- Our Top Pick: Refresh Replacement for Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter
- Great For LG: Kenmore LG Replacement Refrigerator Water Filter
- Great For Frigidaire: Frigidaire FBA ULTRAWF Filter
- Great For Whirlpool: EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
- Great For GE: General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
Our Choice Recommendation: Refresh Replacement for Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter
The Refresh Replacement for Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter is a third-party filter replacement that works with many Samsung refrigerator models. This offer will not negatively impact your water flow rate and is designed to filter out chlorine while still leaving in all the minerals you need for a healthy body.
- This filter works with the majority of Samsung refrigerators on the market today.
- This choice is one of the best-selling filters on the market for Samsung products.
- Many customers report this choice leaking even after just a few weeks of use.
- The filter may last half the time as OEM water filters.
Option #2. Kenmore LG Replacement Refrigerator Water Filter
The Kenmore LG Replacement Refrigerator Water Filter is made by Kenmore but can also be used with some LG refrigerators as well. This option can last up to six months in most situations and removes chlorine from your water while improving the taste at the same time.
- This filter can be installed in just a few quick and easy steps.
- This offer usually lasts as long as advertised.
- Many customers have had issues receiving knock-offs of this option when it isn’t ordered from the manufacturer.
- The filter will not fit correctly in some rare instances.
Option #3. Frigidaire FBA ULTRAWF Filter
For Frigidaire refrigerators including many different model numbers, you may need the Frigidaire FBA ULTRAWF Filter . This filter is perfect for removing lead and heavy metal contaminants as well as chemicals, organic pollutants, and more. This choice will also make your water smell and taste better as well.
- This filter is one of the best-selling fridge water filters on the market and is a great choice if it will work with your fridge.
- This option is very durable and built to last.
- Some filters may arrive damaged or not working right out of the box.
- The filter may take some time to get set up.
Option #4. Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter
Try this Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter when you have a Samsung brand fridge, particularly one of the newer models. This offer can cut back on most of the common contaminants in tap water to improve the smell and taste of the water in your fridge. This choice is certified for safety and taste both.
- This filter is easy to install by following the included packaging directions.
- The filter can cut back on some of the most harmful contaminants, improving the health of your water.
- The filter may not be able to be used for lead.
- Some customers have received damaged or used products, but this is uncommon.
Option #5. LG Refrigerator Water Filter
If you have an LG refrigerator, then you may need to go with this LG Refrigerator Water Filter . This option can cut back on chlorine contamination in your drinking water and can also make your ice and water both taste and smell much better. This offer is designed to last about six months before you’ll need to replace it.
- This filter also works for some heavy metals.
- The filter can be used with many LG refrigerator models and is likely to cover most modern ones.
- Some customers have reported this filter not filtering very well at all.
- It may be difficult to get this filter to fit your refrigerator properly.
Option #6. EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
The EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter is designed for use with several Whirlpool brand products. This choice can be used with Maytag, Amana, and a handful of others, and it covers many model numbers among these brand names as well. The filter is made by Whirlpool and is a durable, strong solution.
- This filter can remove lead, parasites, and chemicals as well as other contaminants from the water.
- The filter is easy to install and replace as needed.
- The filter may develop a loud, strange sound over time.
- The filter may start leaking in some instances.
Option #7. General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
Try this General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter if you have a GE fridge and are looking for a filter option. This option is meant for use with certain side-by-side and bottom-freezer variations of the GE fridge, and it is designed to last up to six months depending on the initial quality of your water.
- This filter is easy to install by just twisting it into place and locking it in.
- This offer is a powerful filter that can even remove some pharmaceutical contamination.
- This choice is an OEM substitution and may not fit as advertised in some instances.
- This option may cause water to taste bad.
Did you find a filter that will work for your existing product? How well do these filters work in general? Are they as good as the original ones? Can you do anything to make them work better?
For the most part, aftermarket water filter replacements are good quality and tend to work well for the models they are made for. Some of them even work better than the originals, according to the customers who buy them time and time again. As with any product, of course, it’s possible to find ones that may not work as well as promised. If you do happen to come by one that doesn’t work or fit quite right, you may be able to adjust the fittings to solve the issue.
If working with the fittings doesn’t make this offer fit better, however, chances are you’ll need to try another third-party filter for your refrigerator’s needs.
Pick from these offers on our list above and you’re sure to bring home a filter that will work as it claims to and clean up your water easily.
5 Tips for Choosing the Right Fridge Filter
- Check the size of your refrigerator water filter to make sure it fits properly.
- Look for a filter that is certified by NSF International, which ensures that it meets certain standards for safety and performance.
- Choose a filter with an activated carbon block, which will help reduce chlorine taste and odor.
- Make sure the filter you choose is compatible with your refrigerator model.
- Replace your filtration system every 6 months or as recommended by the manufacturer.
ALSO: Consider investing in a reverse osmosis system to further purify your drinking water!
More Information For Readers
The water filtration system in every home must have these items. They not only aid in lowering impurities in your drinking water but also enhance the flavor and odor of your tap water. You can enjoy clean, risk-free drinking water without worrying about the possible health dangers connected with consuming tainted tap water by making an investment in a high-quality refrigerator filter. Additionally, by lowering your need to buy bottled water, refrigerator filters might help you save money. Additionally, a lot of refrigerator filters come with lifetime warranties that guarantee the protection of your investment for many years. With all these advantages and benefits, it's understandable why so many people decide to get a high-quality refrigerator filter for their residence.
Good Usage Ideas: What Can You Use Them For?
There are three ways to apply these filters. Reduce the impurities in your drinking water as a first step. Chlorine, lead, and other contaminants that can be found in tap water fall under this category. Second, they help your drinking water taste and smell better by removing offensive flavors and aromas. Last but not least, these filters might aid in defending your refrigerator from scale accumulation brought on by hard water. This is crucial because it keeps your refrigerator operating well and shields you from future expensive repairs. When you add up all these advantages, it's clear why these devices are a terrific option for anyone wishing to provide clean, safe drinking water at home.
The Drawbacks: What To Know
There are a few disadvantages to take into account despite the many advantages of these products. To begin with, replacing them can be expensive. Every six months or so, filters should be replaced, which can cost anywhere between $20 and $50 depending on the type and manufacturer. Additionally, not all toxins in your water source may be able to be removed by various filters. For instance, if you reside in a region where the water supply contains high concentrations of lead, a typical refrigerator filter might not be adequate to shield you and your family from potential health dangers. Fortunately, there are ways to overcome these drawbacks. Look for generic brands that provide appropriate replacements at a fraction of the cost of name-brand versions to save money on replacement filters. Additionally, think considering investing in a reverse osmosis system or other more sophisticated filtration systems that can offer better protection against hazardous compounds if you're worried about toxins like lead in your water supply.
What Considerations Should Be Used To Evaluate Them?
The most crucial quantitative factors to consider while assessing these useful items are their cost, filter life, and filtration efficiency. A higher value denotes better performance. Filtration efficiency assesses how effectively the filter eliminates pollutants from the water. The term "filter life" refers to how long a filter may be used before needing to be replaced; in the long run, filters with longer lives are more cost-effective. Finally, price should be taken into account when selecting a filter because less expensive versions can not offer as much filtration or last as long as more expensive ones.
General User Experience: What To Know
Every contemporary kitchen must include these useful items. Your drinking water's pollutants, such as chlorine, lead, and other toxins, are reduced thanks to them. You can make sure the water you drink is pure and suitable for ingestion by using a filter. By removing offensive smells and odors, they can also enhance the taste of your drinking water. The size of the filter and its ability to handle various types of impurities should both be taken into account when selecting one for your refrigerator. While some filters may be more general-purpose, others might be made specifically for a particular class of pollutants. Check the filter's replacement schedule as well; some need to be changed regularly, while others might last up to six months or longer, depending on usage. Finally, before buying the filter, confirm that it is compatible with the model of your refrigerator.
The general procedures for employing these filters are as follows: Make sure you have the appropriate filter for your refrigerator model first. The old filter should then be removed from the filter container. Third, place the replacement filter in the container and turn it until it snaps into place. Fourth, run water into the pipe for a few minutes to flush out any air bubbles. Fifth, if necessary, reset the water filter indicator light on your refrigerator. Enjoy your refrigerator's fresh-tasting, clean water now! You may use a refrigerator water filter to make sure you always have access to clean drinking water at home by keeping these easy steps in mind.
Last update on 2023-06-07 at 17:11 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
We constantly make an effort to implement our editorial practices and policies through out our site. This entails researching all of our articles exhaustively and always doing our best to offer the most reliable details possible for our audience. Please check out our About Us Page for more info.
About The Author
Twitter | Crunchbase
Joseph Bartley, also known as the WaterFilterFanatic, is a seasoned content writer who specializes in water filtration and water quality topics. On AllAboutWaterFilters, he has written a range of water filtration system reviews, water health and quality articles, swimming pool, hot tub and aquarium filtration guides, DIY methods to assist people clean their drinking water, and much more. Joseph enjoys spending his time working with the #AllAboutWaterFilters Editorial Team to provide some of the best quality water filtration content available on the web.