Are you shopping for a brand-new swimming pool filter?
Are you having trouble understanding the difference between a quality brand name filter and those that might come from lesser-quality companies?
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could find a concise list of the most popular name brands in the pool filter industry to help you make this decision a little more easily?
Well, now you can!
In this article, we’ll teach you about the seven most popular swimming pool filter manufacturers making products today. You’ll learn a brief rundown of each one and you’ll be able to compare the pros and cons of both of them to help you figure out which option is right for you.
You’ll also be given five qualities to look for when shopping for your pool filter brands. While this isn’t an exhaustive list of tips, it can be a great starting point to help you figure out what you’re shopping for and how to narrow down the options you have to choose from.
By the time you’ve made it through this article, we hope you’ll be better able to select the right filter brand for you. Within each brand we’ve listed, we’ve also noted the most popular filter products made by each company, so you can start shopping right away once you’ve picked the brand name for you.
It can be confusing to go shopping for pool filters, but with the right information, it doesn’t have to be. Now, let’s get started.
7 BEST Pool Filter Brands
In this section, you’ll be introduced to the 7 most popular pool filters companies on the market today. You’ll go from most popular to least popular, and with each brand, you’ll discover two to three filters that are the best-sellers for these companies. By the time you make your way through this list, you’ll be able to perfectly narrow down your choices based on brand and see which options customers just like you return to time and time again for their own pools.
The Hayward company has been a part of the pool filter industry for over eighty years. They continue to develop and create better and more impressive pool filter products over and over again, and customers continue to be pleased with the results. This company cares a lot about its customers and wants to build long-lasting relationships with families that use their products. Whether you choose to purchase just your pool filter from Hayward or you want to set up your entire pool with Hayward brand products, you’re in luck when you choose this very high-quality brand name for your pool needs. VISIT: https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/hayward-about-us
- This company offers residential and commercial products and continues to be trusted by even the largest commercial pools around the world.
- You have a lot of choices with this company, including every type of pool filter and many other pool products as well.
- This company is well-known for its great customer service.
- Depending on where you purchase your Hayward product from, it may not always be covered by their warranties.
- Some customer reviews have commented about lower-quality filter media in their packaged sets.
- This is a very expensive company.
1. Hayward C12002 Star-Clear 120-Square-Foot 2-Inch FIP Pipe Pool Filter
Cartridge filters aren’t always as strong as they could be, but with the Hayward C12002 Star-Clear 12-Square-Foot 2-Inch FIP Pipe Pool Filter installed, you’ll see just how powerful they can really be when you purchase one that comes from a popular brand name. This filter is designed with a reinforced tank that’s built to hold up for many years, no matter how many times you need to clean it or how long it sits out in the extreme hot or cold temperatures. The cartridge element included with this filter is bigger than it is in many other cartridge filters, so you’ll get even more filtration area with every cycle. And best of all, the filter is easy to access and clean when the time comes, which cuts back on a lot of the hassle associated with regular maintenance.
2. Hayward S244T Pro-Series Above Ground Swimming Pool Sand Filter
The Hayward S244T Pro-Series Above Ground Swimming Pool Sand Filter remains one of the most popular sand filters on the market, and with good reason. This is a 24” inch sand filter, which is a little bit larger than many of the others available today, and that added size makes it much more powerful and durable as well. This filter is built from thick, sturdy plastic and features a molded, included base to make it safe and stable for many years to come. Several pool owners who have this filter in place have reported being able to use it for up to ten years without needing to replace the sand or any broken pieces of the filter, either. You can’t go wrong with such a long-lasting filter for your pool.
3. Hayward EC50AC Perflex Extended-Cycle Above-Ground/In-Ground DE Filter
Diatomaceous earth pool filters are growing in popularity all the time, but one of the problems some people still have with them is how damaging they can be to the environment. The Hayward EC50AC Perflex Extended-Cycle Above-Ground/In-Ground DE Filter, however, works around this by utilizing the same DE over and over again, limiting the need for backwashing and dumping significantly. This also means this filter can be much smaller and use less DE in general, which in turn makes it more affordable to set up and to operate over time, too. You simply can’t go wrong with this filter as part of your backyard pool setup, whether your pool is in-ground or above ground.
The Pentair company is a very large corporation that manufactures a lot of products, not just for swimming pools. However, they have been working with pool products for a long time as well, and they remain one of the most popular options on the market today. They produce several different types of filters and other pool products as well, so you can outfit your whole pool with Pentair products if you want to. VISIT: https://www.pentairpool.com/en/support/manual%20and%20specs
- Pentair utilizes durable plastics to provide the best possible products at all times.
- It’s very easy to reach this company if you have a problem or need assistance at all.
- Pentair has been around for a long time and has developed a good reputation among its customers.
- Since Pentair makes so many different products, they may not be focused enough on the swimming pool industry to provide the highest quality at all times.
- Pentair can be a little on the expensive side, even though they aren’t as pricey as Hayward.
- Pentair’s warranties may be voided if you install the products yourself, in some instances.
4. Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Cartridge Pool Filter
When you want a cartridge style filter that can get your water just as clean as a DE filter can, the Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Cartridge Pool Filter is definitely the way to go. This filter is often used by commercial swimming pools to provide adequate filtration even to large pools with heavy swimmer loads, so you know you can expect tons of clean, fresh water when you use it in your backyard. This pool filter is very large and powerful, so remember that you’ll need to use it with a strong enough pump. When you have the right hardware in place, operating this filter is easy and simple, and it’s sure to make a difference in your swimming pool in no time.
5. Pentair 145333 Sand Dollar Top-Mount Pool Filter
You may think that most sand filters are pretty similar, and when it comes to the way they work, you’d be at least partially right. But in terms of design, efficiency, and functionality, the Pentair 145333 Sand Dollar Top-Mount Pool Filter is one of the best options on the market today. This sand filter is strong enough for use with above ground or in-ground swimming pools interchangeably, and it’s built to work universally with plenty of existing pool hardware and devices for maximum filtration no matter what you might already have in place. Bring home this filter today and see how clean it can really get your pool’s water.
6. Pentair 180008 FNS Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Vertical Grid DE Pool Filter
Are you looking for an incredible DE pool filter that will be a part of your backyard pool setup for many years to come? If so, the Pentair 180008 FNS Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Vertical Grid DE Pool Filter is sure to be just what you’re looking for. This powerful filter is one of the strongest on the market for residential backyard pool use, and if you’re searching for something that’s both efficient and very sturdy, you’re sure to love everything about this product. It’s designed from non-corrosive and rust-proof plastic that can stay outside for years to come, and since it’s a DE filter, it’s not going to need as much maintenance as some other types of filters might, either.
Sta-Rite is technically a part of the Pentair company, but it is its own line of products designed specifically for residential use. It’s separate from many of the other Pentair products readily available. Sta-Rite has been around since the 1930s and is present in over 100 countries today, which makes it a very well-versed company in the world of water filtration. VISIT: http://www.sta-rite.com/residentialabout.aspx
- Sta-Rite produces all sorts of water filtration, not just for swimming pools, and even helps provide clean water to countries where it might be harder to find.
- You can purchase a filter and pump system together from Sta-Rite or buy the pieces separately if you need to since the company makes everything universally sized for easy installation and use.
- Sta-Rite continually offers quality customer support and troubleshooting when you need it most.
- These products may be a little more difficult to install than some of the other brand name products on this list.
- This company’s filter pieces have been reported in some customer reviews as being less durable than other brands, so you may need to swap some of the filter components out with "upgrades" or do some minor repairs often when you have this brand installed.
7. Sta-Rite S7M120 System:3 Modular Media SM Series Pool Filter 300 Square Feet
When you need one of the most powerful cartridge pool filter options on the market, be sure you reach for the Sta-Rite S7M120 System:3 Modular Media SM Series Pool Filter 300 Square Feet filter. This is a unique filter system that includes two separate cartridges inside to give you even more filtration than ever before. Although this does mean you’ll need to purchase extra cartridges when the time comes to replace them, it also ensures that you’ll have cleaner water for longer with no trouble. This is a powerful Sta Rite pool filter that can handle up to 300 square feet of swimming pool even if you use your pool very frequently.
8. Sta-Rite 19” Sand Filter w/Pump & Hoses
Sand filters are growing in popular all the time, and with the Sta-Rite 19” Sand Filter w/Pump & Hoses, you can purchase a whole setup that will help you understand just what makes these filters such a great choice for so many people. This filter tank is large enough for use with mid-sized backyard above-ground pools but small enough that you can even use it with a pop-up pool if you so choose. Install it and let it cycle through a couple of times, and you’re sure to see just what a difference it can make in the quality of your pool water in almost no time. Since this setup comes with everything you need, you’ll be well on your way to clear water almost instantly, no matter how grimy your pool might have become.
9. Sta-Rite PLD70 System:2 Modular DE PLD Series Pool Filter 36 Square Feet
Are you searching for a powerful DE pool filter that can give you all the benefits of diatomaceous earth filters without any of the hassles? If so, the Sta-Rite PLD70 System:2 Modular DE PLD Series Pool Filter 36 Square Feet filter may be the perfect solution for you. This is a two-piece filter tank system that can be easily attached and taken apart as needed for quick access. It comes with a durable base and all the hookups required to put it together and install it with your existing pool hardware right away. All you’ll need to buy is the DE to get this filter up and running.
The Intex company makes pop-up swimming pools, airbeds, pop-up spas, and some camping gear, and they’re well-known as one of the most affordable brands on the market. Their pool filters usually come packaged with pop-up pool sets, but you can also buy them separately if you choose and use them as replacement parts for your existing pool setup. VISIT: https://www.intexcorp.com/
- Intex products are usually a lot more affordable than many other brand name pool filters.
- It’s very easy to find Intex products even in big box stores around the world.
- Intex’s customer service is easy to reach if need be.
- Intex makes a lot more than just swimming pools and pool products, so they may be less devoted to the pool industry overall.
- The plastic used in Intex products has been said by some customers to be a little less durable than that used in some of the other brand names listed here.
- Intex is often not recommended by many pool techs.
10. Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R/56637E 1000-Gallon Filter Pump
If you have a pop-up swimming pool or a very small above-ground pool, you need a pump that’s capable of working with the type of setup you have without being too weak or too strong for your needs. In this situation, the Intex Krystal Clear Model 637R/56637E 1000-Gallon Filter Pump is the perfect solution for you. This is a very low-cost pump that works well with just about any existing pool hardware, and it’s designed to withstand a lot of wear and tear with no trouble. Although it is not designed or intended for use with anything but small pools, it remains very popular with backyard pool owners who don’t have larger setups to worry about. Bring one home today and see just what makes people come back to this pump time and time again.
11. Intex 3000-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
Do you need a small but powerful sand filter that can be used with many small backyard swimming pools? Are you looking to upgrade your existing filter system but don’t want to spend a fortune to do so? With the Intex 3000-Gallon Sand Filter Pump in your backyard, you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits of a sand filter with very little of the cost, even if you don’t have a very large pool. This sturdy little filter comes with everything you need to get started, including a skimmer basket that can help catch larger debris before it ever makes its way into your filter.
When you go with Jandy you know you’re going to get a product that comes from a company that cares. Jandy has been around since the 1950s and continues to provide quality products to customers who are happy to return again and again. This company is credited with inventing the first automatic pool cleaner, so they know a thing or two about cleaning and filtering swimming pool water. VISIT: http://www.jandy.com/en/about/history
- Jandy is a great brand on a budget.
- You can find a lot of information online about the Jandy brand as well as its troubleshooting.
- Jandy has been around for a while and continues to be a popular choice.
- Jandy products tend to be less durable than many others listed here, as reported by customers.
- It can be difficult to find replacement pieces for Jandy products.
- Many pool techs won’t install Jandy products or won’t recommend them.
12. Jandy CS250 250-Square-Foot Single Element Cartridge Filter
When you need a durable cartridge style pool filter that can handle anything that might come its way, you need the Jandy CS250-Square-Foot Single Element Cartridge Filter. This powerful filter works like any other cartridge style filter, but it’s built out of UV and corrosion resistant materials that make sure you won’t have to worry about any damage due to extended use or frequent exposure. Best of all, it’s designed for small and lightweight positioning and easy access when it comes time to clean it or replace the internal filter media.
13. Jandy Zodiac DEV48 DEV Series 48 Sq. Ft. Inground DE Filter
When you have an in-ground swimming pool, your filter needs are much different than they are when your pool is above ground or pop-up. You need something that’s quite a lot more powerful than the usual filters, and you need something that can handle a bigger pool and a larger swimmer load too. With the Jandy Zodiac DEV48 DEV Series 48 Sq. Ft. Inground DE Filter, you can get all that and much more! This filter is very strong and ready to become a staple in your backyard pool setup today. It comes with many different features that can help you make the most of your inground pool and keep it cleaner for longer.
While the Waterway company is near the bottom of the list in terms of well-known filter companies, it’s still an up-and-coming option that continues to be a popular choice for shoppers on a budget. The company produces many different types of plastic products for pools, spas, and baths, so if you’re looking for a replacement item, chances are good you can find it from the Waterway company. VISIT: http://waterwayplastics.com/resources/faq/
- Waterway is committed to providing products that do their job efficiently without running up your electric bill higher than it needs to be.
- This company knows a lot about pool and water products and offers several options to help you best outfit your pool setup.
- It’s easy to get in touch with this company if you need help with a product.
- This company, while affordable, may be difficult to repair or find replacement parts for.
- These pool filters haven’t been around as long as many of the other companies listed here have.
- Customers have said that these products are slightly lower-quality than some of the others listed here and may become damaged or broken more easily.
14. Waterway PCCF-100 Pro-Clean Cartridge Filter Complete 100-Square-Feet
When you want to stick to cartridge filtration but you also want to be sure you have one of the most powerful options you can find, the Waterway PCCF-100 Pro-Clean Cartridge Filter Complete 100-Square-Feet filter is the perfect solution. This is a large Pro Clean pool filter that is durable enough to withstand frequent use but gentle enough that you can even make it a part of your pop-up filter system if you choose. It’s built to use with a ¾ HP pump, but you can upgrade the pump slightly to a 1 HP option if you’re looking for even clearer water. Give this filter a try and see how Waterway can make a difference for you.
15. Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter 22”
The Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter is an affordable way to break into the world of sand filtration. This is a large and powerful sand filter that is capable of handling larger swimming pools with no trouble, and it comes with everything necessary to use it right away. It’s built of durable plastic that can withstand years of exposure to the elements as well as to pool treatment chemicals, and its included molded base is designed to resist rusting even on the included screws. The internal diffusers on these Clear Water pool filters make sure that you’ll have no trouble getting ample filtration as the water is able to reach all of the sand evenly.
16. Waterway Plastics 520-5037-6S DE Filter 67 GPM for Above Ground Pools
For an excellent, quality DE filter that is capable of anything the other brand-name filters can handle, look no further than this Waterway Plastics 520-5037-6S DE Filter 67 GPM for Above Ground Pools. This filter comes with almost everything you need to get started right out of the box, and it’s sure to provide you with tons of clean water for years to come. Use it with diatomaceous earth or use one of the approved DE alternatives available on the market. Either way, you’ll be well on your way to amazing water in no time.
Bestway may be one of the lesser-known name brands on the market, but they can be a great choice depending on the pool filter products you’re looking for. While they don’t yet make their own version of a DE filter, they provide a handful of cartridge and sand filters as well as other pool products backed by a commitment to quality production. VISIT: http://www.bestwaycorp.us/aboutus
- Bestway focuses a lot on recycling its materials and operating in a safe and green manner.
- Bestway products are very easy to find in most pool stores as well as in some big box stores too.
- This is an affordable company that’s great for budget shopping.
- Bestway products may degrade more quickly over time than other brand names listed here, as reported by customers.
- It may be very difficult to reach Bestway by phone for help.
- This company may not often supply replacement parts for products.
17. Bestway 800 Gal Pool Filter Pump
If you’re looking for an affordable pump to use with your low-cost cartridge filter system, the No products found. is a great way to get started. This Best Way pool filter pump is not too expensive but still powerful enough to handle swimming pools of small to medium size with no trouble. You can use it with your above-ground smaller swimming pool or with a pop-up pool of just about any size. Either way, you’re sure to experience a lot of quality, filtered water almost right away when you hook up this filter and make it part of your pool setup.
18. Flowclear Sand Filter 2000 Gallon
With the Flowclear Sand Filter 2000 Gallon model, you’ll be able to bring all the qualities of sand filtration to your own backyard without having to spend as much money as it would cost to purchase one of the better-known name brands. Although Bestway isn’t at the top of the list, it nevertheless can still provide you with tons of incredible, clean water for years to come. This large and powerful sand filter is capable of handling up to 2000 gallons per hour and is perfect for use with your above-ground swimming pool of just about any size.
5 QUALITIES of TRUSTED Pool Filter Brands
When looking for the right pool filter company, there are a few qualities you should keep in mind to make sure you have the best possible experience. Check out this list of our recommended top 5 qualities of trusted pool filter brands to help you get started. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to better face the information in the second portion of this article, and you’ll be better able to choose the right products for you.
1. Companies have a solid online presence.
In the past, this wasn’t such an important quality, but these days, it’s always better to go with a company you can find both online and offline fairly easily. You should choose a company with a website you can find easily and navigate successfully to find any information you might be looking for.
2. Companies have a lot of good reviews.
Certain companies have better reviews than others, and just like with word of mouth recommendations, you can’t go wrong picking one that many customers have been satisfied with in the past. Don’t be afraid to do some digging and figure out which companies provide the best reviews for their products and services. Just because a company doesn’t have a lot of reviews doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad, however. Remember that newer companies may not be established enough yet to have more reviews.
3. Companies have an easy-to-find method of contacting them.
It should be very simple to find at least one phone number by which to contact the company you choose. Many companies also offer contact through email and may even provide an online chat service to help you with any troubleshooting that might come your way. Some companies are accessible 24/7, but smaller companies may not be, and that’s not necessarily a detriment. Just be sure to choose a company you can reach with relative ease.
4. Companies have been around for a while.
This isn’t to say that a newer company is a bad choice, but you can usually trust a company that’s been around for a while a little more simply because they’ve proven their staying power. If a company has been part of the pool filter industry for decades, that means they’ve continued to provide high-quality products customers are happy to purchase time and time again. These companies have usually worked with changing technology to continually provide products that are at the top of the industry’s developments.
5. Companies are recommended by pool technicians.
You do have to be careful with this quality, however, because some pool technicians may be less likely to offer quality recommendations than others. With that said, however, if you have a pool tech you’ve trusted for many years and he or she offers you a solid recommendation, you can probably assume that company is a good option to choose. Most pool tech companies may not suggest the most affordable options on the market, but they are likely to tell you about which products can do the job the best way.
There are plenty of great filters out there to pick from, but hopefully, you’ve been able to narrow down your decision a little bit based on the above information. We hope we’ve given you a little bit to think about in terms of the most popular pool filter brands on the market today, and maybe even directed you toward the perfect pool filter for your backyard, too.
Remember that you don’t have to choose your filter entirely based on brand name, but that it can be a great starting point to help you better figure out which option is right for you. Choose based on brand name, but don’t forget to think about the size of your pool, how frequently you use it, and the type of filter media you want to work with as well. Don’t forget to consider your budget, too!
It doesn’t have to be too difficult to choose the right filter for your swimming pool. While there are a lot of different brand names out there, most of them make their own version of a cartridge filter, a sand filter, and a DE filter, with a few exceptions. So just remember the basics of shopping for pool filters, and you should be set no matter which brand name you choose to go with.
Last update on 2020-08-11 at 07:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.