Are you looking for ways to get your home’s water cleaner?
Did you know chloramine is a chemical pollutant that is present in many water sources?
Do you know how to remove chloramine from water?
In this article, we’ll introduce you to several products that can help you remove chloramine from your water. You’ll be able to find products that work for either your countertop or for your whole house, depending on what you need.
Carbon filters are great for removing chloramine from water. This type contains activated carbon inside the filter element. Water is pushed through the carbon, and chemicals, pollutants, and other substances present in the water cling to the particles of carbon. This allows fresh, clean water to pass through.
Check out the list of products below to see which version is right for you and your needs!
What Exactly Is Chloramine?
Since the late 1920’s, water chlorination has been used in major cities across the United States. According to study conducted in 1998, over 70 million Americans drank chloramine-treated tap water. When chlorine combines with ammonia brought into water bodies by biological things such as feces, decomposing leaves, and insects, chloramines are created. Because of these chloramines, certain swimming pools have a characteristic chlorine odor.
***UNDER SINK WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM: Under Sink Water Filter.
How Does Chloramine Get Into Our Water?
At the disinfection facility or plant, chloramine is used to purify your water. It lasts longer in the water system than chlorine because it is less prone to dissipate. Chloramines are not added to all water supplies by all water providers. Agencies make this determination on a case-by-case basis, depending on the quality of the water in your area.
What’s The Difference Between Chloramine Vs. Chlorine?
What is chloramine, anyway, and how is it different from chlorine? Simply put, chloramine is made up partially of chlorine and partially of nitrogen. These two chemicals bind together to create this new compound. Sometimes it’s used to treat water, but many times, it makes people sick from drinking too much of it.
Is Drinking Chloramine Bad For You?
There are no health advantages to ingesting chloramine, and drinking water polluted with the chemical has several negative health consequences. Chloramines, in principle, should purify your water and eradicate germs that might cause sickness. Unfortunately, even after using it, you may be surprised to see that microorganisms can still be found in your water source. So it’s probably a good idea to remove it from your water.
How Do You Remove Chloramine From Water?
According to the San Francisco Public Utility Commission (SFPUC), boiling water for 20 minutes reduces chloramines and ammonia levels to acceptable levels. Then again, others say that chloramines are more chemically complicated than chlorine, and are more difficult to filter out using procedures such as boiling.
Carbon filters, which are widely used in water purification and filtration equipment, are among the most efficient techniques for decreasing pollutants in your water as well as the odor and taste associated with chloramines and DBPs.
Activated carbon filters are the most prevalent form of carbon filter found in today’s goods. Many pollutants and undesired components of your water are successfully reduced and filtered using granular activated carbon media in this sort of filter.
***EFFECTIVE ON-TAP PURIFIERS: Best Faucet Water Filter.
Our Choice Recommendation: The Stainless Steel Countertop Purifier
Install The Stainless Steel Countertop Purifier to enjoy clean water with up to 99.9% of bacteria and up to 97% of chlorine removed quickly and easily. This option is designed to work for up to 1000 gallons of water without needing any replacement or maintenance.
- UNSURPASSED PERFORMANCE - Effectively removes 99.9% of Giardia & Cryptosporidium, 97% of Chlorine, Class I...
- REFRESHING WATER DIRECT FROM YOUR TAP - Simple one-step installation of our stylish on tap water filter diverter...
- LONG LASTING 2,500 LEAD GALLON FILTER - Conveniently delivers up to 6500 gallons of healthy clean water with a...
- You can choose between 10 micron or 0.5 micron for this option, depending on which you prefer.
- The replacement cartridges for this offer are affordable and easy to install.
- Some customers find that it takes a while for the water to lose its carbon taste with this choice.
- Some customers have some trouble getting this option set up.
Option #2. Purenex SS-1 Countertop
The Purenex SS-1 Countertop is designed to clean drinking water for up to four people and for up to one year without needing the cartridge replaced at all. When the time comes to replace the cartridge, this is a very user-friendly product that sets up quickly and can be used almost instantly.
- Replacement cartridge lasts 1 year for a family of four
- To make sure that the plastic wrap that is on the filter cartridge that is inside the filter housing, if there is...
- To take off the hose clamp and put on the needed adapter that is included inside the unit box.
- It doesn’t take long for this offer to fill a gallon-sized pitcher, making it a great solution for quick and easy use.
- Many customers find that this choice is sturdy enough to hold up to a lot of wear and tear.
- It may take about a week for the water running through this option to completely lose any bad taste it has from the filter itself.
- You will need to make sure to flush and rinse this offer before installing it, which can be a hassle for some customers.
***TOTAL IN-HOME FILTRATION: Best Whole House Water Filter.
Option #3. Home Master Whole House 2-Stage
The Home Master Whole House 2-Stage is an excellent solution for anyone looking for a durable product that isn’t quite as powerful (or expensive) as some of the others out there. This offer can remove up to 95% of sediment and chlorine from water, as well as chemicals and other problems.
- "massive filter housings with 1" ports for the strongest water pressure possible - up to 20 gallons per minute."
- four gradient density replaceable sediment filter produces finer filtration and greater dirt holding capacity....
- 100, 000-gallon capacity replaceable coconut shell carbon filter provides a full year of clean water for a family...
- This choice is designed to have larger ports so it doesn’t affect your water pressure in any kind of a noticeable way.
- You only have to replace these options about once every year.
- The ports for installing this option are made of plastic and may develop a leak or may not form a tight enough seal in some situations.
- Installation of this offer can be a little challenging.
Option #4. Home Master Whole House 3-Stage
The Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter is a large product that’s big enough to process up to 15 gallons of water pressure per minute. This option filters down to one micron and is big and powerful enough to filter enough water for four people for up to a year.
- Great for well water; for city water, consider model #HMF2SmgCC
- Massive filter housings with 1-inch ports for the strongest water pressure possible - up to 15-gallon per minute
- Multi gradient density replaceable sediment filter produces finer filtration and greater dirt holding capacity;...
- This option is fairly easy to install if you know just a little bit about plumbing, so it’s user-friendly for beginners.
- This offer shouldn’t cause your water pressure to drop too badly when it’s operating.
- Some customers have reported the system breaking after a few months of use, but this is very rare.
- Some customers have reported having trouble finding replacement parts for this choice.
***FILTRATION SOFTENER HEAD: Best Shower Filter For Hard Water.
Option #5. iSpring CU-A4 4-Stage Compact Drinking System
Choose the iSpring CU-A4 4-Stage Compact Drinking System when you’er looking for a high-quality carbons filter that can remove up to 99% of pollutants. This is an easy-to-use product can be easily installed and used to help you get fresh, clean water brought to your whole house.
- Most customers report not noticing any leaks or breakage from regular use of this offer.
- The product is known for having excellent customer service and troubleshooting support when people have gotten in touch with the company.
- It can be challenging to get this choice installed correctly, especially if you don’t have prior experience.
- You will need to purchase replacement filters additionally and may need to replace them more frequently than you would with some of the other products listed here.
Did you find the right filter for your needs? Remember that some of the products listed above are under-sink filters and some are countertop ones. You’ll need to make a decision about which type you want in your home.
If you’re not worried about showering or brushing your teeth with water that contains chloramine, you may prefer a countertop filter that you can use at your kitchen sink. On the other hand, if you want to remove chloramine from all the water you come into contact with, make sure you go with a whole house filter instead.
With the right filter, you’ll be ready to enjoy cleaner water in no time!
Last update on 2022-09-06 at 01:41 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.