Are you looking for ways to get your home’s water cleaner?
Did you know chloramine is a chemical pollutant that is present in many water sources?
Do you know how to remove chloramine from water?
In this article, we’ll introduce you to several products that can help you remove chloramine from your water. You’ll be able to find products that work for either your countertop or for your whole house, depending on what you need.
Carbon filters are great for removing chloramine from water. This type contains activated carbon inside the filter element. Water is pushed through the carbon, and chemicals, pollutants, and other substances present in the water cling to the particles of carbon. This allows fresh, clean water to pass through.
Check out the list of products below to see which version is right for you and your needs!
JUMP TO A SECTION:
What Exactly Is Chloramine?
Since the late 1920’s, water chlorination has been used in major cities across the United States. According to study conducted in 1998, over 70 million Americans drank chloramine-treated tap water. When chlorine combines with ammonia brought into water bodies by biological things such as feces, decomposing leaves, and insects, chloramines are created. Because of these chloramines, certain swimming pools have a characteristic chlorine odor.
How Does Chloramine Get Into Our Water?
At the disinfection facility or plant, chloramine is used to purify your water. It lasts longer in the water system than chlorine because it is less prone to dissipate. Chloramines are not added to all water supplies by all water providers. Agencies make this determination on a case-by-case basis, depending on the quality of the water in your area.
What’s The Difference Between Chloramine Vs. Chlorine?
What is chloramine, anyway, and how is it different from chlorine? Simply put, chloramine is made up partially of chlorine and partially of nitrogen. These two chemicals bind together to create this new compound. Sometimes it’s used to treat water, but many times, it makes people sick from drinking too much of it.
Is Drinking Chloramine Bad For You?
There are no health advantages to ingesting chloramine, and drinking water polluted with the chemical has several negative health consequences. Chloramines, in principle, should purify your water and eradicate germs that might cause sickness. Unfortunately, even after using it, you may be surprised to see that microorganisms can still be found in your water source. So it’s probably a good idea to remove it from your water.
How Do You Remove Chloramine From Water?
According to the San Francisco Public Utility Commission (SFPUC), boiling water for 20 minutes reduces chloramines and ammonia levels to acceptable levels. Then again, others say that chloramines are more chemically complicated than chlorine, and are more difficult to filter out using procedures such as boiling.
Carbon filters, which are widely used in water purification and filtration equipment, are among the most efficient techniques for decreasing pollutants in your water as well as the odor and taste associated with chloramines and DBPs.
Activated carbon filters are the most prevalent form of carbon filter found in today’s goods. Many pollutants and undesired components of your water are successfully reduced and filtered using granular activated carbon media in this sort of filter.
Our Choice Recommendation: The Stainless Steel Countertop Purifier
Install The Stainless Steel Countertop Purifier to enjoy clean water with up to 99.9% of bacteria and up to 97% of chlorine removed quickly and easily. This option is designed to work for up to 1000 gallons of water without needing any replacement or maintenance.
- UNSURPASSED PERFORMANCE - Effectively removes 99.9% of Giardia & Cryptosporidium, 97% of Chlorine, Class I...
- REFRESHING WATER DIRECT FROM YOUR TAP - Simple one-step installation of our stylish on tap water filter diverter...
- LONG LASTING 2,500 LEAD GALLON FILTER - Conveniently delivers up to 6500 gallons of healthy clean water with a...
- You can choose between 10 micron or 0.5 micron for this option, depending on which you prefer.
- The replacement cartridges for this offer are affordable and easy to install.
- Some customers find that it takes a while for the water to lose its carbon taste with this choice.
- Some customers have some trouble getting this option set up.
Option #2. Purenex SS-1 Countertop
The Purenex SS-1 Countertop is designed to clean drinking water for up to four people and for up to one year without needing the cartridge replaced at all. When the time comes to replace the cartridge, this is a very user-friendly product that sets up quickly and can be used almost instantly.
- Replacement cartridge lasts 1 year for a family of four
- To make sure that the plastic wrap that is on the filter cartridge that is inside the filter housing, if there is...
- To take off the hose clamp and put on the needed adapter that is included inside the unit box.
- It doesn’t take long for this offer to fill a gallon-sized pitcher, making it a great solution for quick and easy use.
- Many customers find that this choice is sturdy enough to hold up to a lot of wear and tear.
- It may take about a week for the water running through this option to completely lose any bad taste it has from the filter itself.
- You will need to make sure to flush and rinse this offer before installing it, which can be a hassle for some customers.
Option #3. Home Master Whole House 2-Stage
The Home Master Whole House 2-Stage is an excellent solution for anyone looking for a durable product that isn’t quite as powerful (or expensive) as some of the others out there. This offer can remove up to 95% of sediment and chlorine from water, as well as chemicals and other problems.
- Massive filter housings with 1" ports for the strongest water pressure possible - up to 20 gallons per minute.
- Multi-gradient density sediment filter has 4 layers to maximize dirt holding capacity while delivering fine...
- 100, 000-gallon capacity replaceable coconut shell carbon filter provides a full year of clean water for a family...
- This choice is designed to have larger ports so it doesn’t affect your water pressure in any kind of a noticeable way.
- You only have to replace these options about once every year.
- The ports for installing this option are made of plastic and may develop a leak or may not form a tight enough seal in some situations.
- Installation of this offer can be a little challenging.
Option #4. Home Master Whole House 3-Stage
The Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter is a large product that’s big enough to process up to 15 gallons of water pressure per minute. This option filters down to one micron and is big and powerful enough to filter enough water for four people for up to a year.
- Great for well water - For city water, consider model #HMF2SmgCC
- Massive filter housings with 1-inch ports for the strongest water pressure possible - up to 15-gallon per minute
- 4-Layer 25-10-5-1 micron replaceable sediment filter produces finer filtration and greater dirt holding capacity
- This option is fairly easy to install if you know just a little bit about plumbing, so it’s user-friendly for beginners.
- This offer shouldn’t cause your water pressure to drop too badly when it’s operating.
- Some customers have reported the system breaking after a few months of use, but this is very rare.
- Some customers have reported having trouble finding replacement parts for this choice.
Option #5. iSpring CU-A4 4-Stage Compact Drinking System
Choose the iSpring CU-A4 4-Stage Compact Drinking System when you’er looking for a high-quality carbons filter that can remove up to 99% of pollutants. This is an easy-to-use product can be easily installed and used to help you get fresh, clean water brought to your whole house.
- Most customers report not noticing any leaks or breakage from regular use of this offer.
- The product is known for having excellent customer service and troubleshooting support when people have gotten in touch with the company.
- It can be challenging to get this choice installed correctly, especially if you don’t have prior experience.
- You will need to purchase replacement filters additionally and may need to replace them more frequently than you would with some of the other products listed here.
Did you find the right filter for your needs? Remember that some of the products listed above are under-sink filters and some are countertop ones. You’ll need to make a decision about which type you want in your home.
If you’re not worried about showering or brushing your teeth with water that contains chloramine, you may prefer a countertop filter that you can use at your kitchen sink. On the other hand, if you want to remove chloramine from all the water you come into contact with, make sure you go with a whole house filter instead.
With the right filter, you’ll be ready to enjoy cleaner water in no time!
5 Essential Tips for Choosing the Right Chlorine Filtration
- Look for a filter that is certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 53, which tests for the reduction of chloramines.
- Choose a filter with a high flow rate so you don't have to wait long for your water to be filtered.
- Make sure the filter is easy to install and maintain. Look for filters that come with detailed instructions and are simple to replace when needed.
- Check the filter's capacity rating. This will tell you how much water it can filter before needing replacement.
- Consider investing in a multi-stage filtration system if you want more comprehensive protection from chloramines and other contaminants.
ALSO: Consider using an activated carbon block filter as part of your chloramine filtration system. Activated carbon blocks are highly effective at removing chlorine, chloramines, and other contaminants from your drinking water!
More Information For Readers
For anyone wishing to raise the standard of their drinking water, these trustworthy items are a necessity. In addition to removing chlorine and chloramines, they also lessen additional impurities like lead, mercury, and arsenic from your water. You may relax knowing your family is drinking pure, secure water if you install a chloramine filter. The advantages of utilizing a chloramine filter go beyond just making your water taste better; they also include significant health hazards related to ingesting tainted water. These practical solutions are a great option for any house or business because they are simple to install and maintain. They are also economical options that will save you money over time by lowering the need for bottled water or pricey repairs because of pollution. One of the greatest methods to guarantee that you always have access to clean, safe drinking water is to invest in a good chloramine filter.
Usage Ideas: What Are They Effective for?
There are three main applications for these filters: They are a good technique to get chloramine out of your water supply, to start with. Chloramine, a compound made of chlorine and ammonia, is frequently added as a disinfectant to municipal water systems. It is essential to filter out this chemical before drinking or using it in cooking because consuming it could have negative health effects. Second, by reducing the taste and odor of chlorine and other pollutants in the water, these filters can also help. The water is now more enjoyable to drink and use in cooking as a result. Additionally, they can aid in preventing corrosion in your plumbing system brought on by long-term chloramine buildup. By eliminating this chemical from your water supply, you may increase the lifespan of your fixtures and pipelines while also lowering future maintenance expenses. With all these advantages taken into account, it's simple to understand why these devices are gaining popularity among homeowners looking for dependable filtering options.
The Drawbacks: What To Know
Despite the many advantages of these useful items, there are a few disadvantages to take into account. First, in order for these filters to continue functioning, frequent maintenance and replacement are necessary. Because chloramine is a potent chemical that quickly degrades filter media, it requires more frequent replacement than other filtration methods. Due to their unique design and components, they can also be expensive to install and maintain. Fortunately, these drawbacks have some workable solutions. For instance, homeowners can choose a hybrid system that includes chloramine removal with carbon-based filtration capabilities. This kind of system will lower the expense involved with recurring filter replacements while also offering stronger defense against chlorine and chloramines. The removal of impurities from drinking water supplies may be accomplished even more thoroughly by using alternate water treatment techniques like reverse osmosis or ultraviolet light disinfection, which are worth looking into by householders.
What Specifications Should Be Used To Evaluate Them?
Based on their capacity to lower the level of chloramine in water, these useful products are reviewed and rated. The filter's removal rate, which is commonly expressed in parts per million (ppm) or milligrams per liter (mg/l), is one of the most crucial quantitative parameters for this subject. When comparing a filter to rivals, it's also important to consider its capacity, which is typically expressed in gallons per minute (gpm). The lifespan of the filter, which is normally estimated in months or years depending on the type of filter, should also be taken into account. Overall, these quantitative evaluations can assist in deciding if a chloramine filter is the most suitable solution in a specific circumstance.
Using It First Hand: What To Expect
Chloramines in water can be effectively removed with these practical products. They work by dissolving the chloramines into innocuous substances using a combination of catalytic media and activated carbon. They are an excellent option for people wishing to improve the quality of their water because they can be utilized in both residential and business settings. It's crucial to take into account both the flow rate you want and the size of your system when selecting a chloramine filter. For some systems to operate at their best, extra filtering stages, including sediment or reverse osmosis filters, may be necessary. These systems may offer years of dependable service and ensure that your family or business has access to safe drinking water if they are properly maintained and their filter cartridges are changed on a regular basis.
The general procedures for employing these filters are as follows: Make sure your filter is the appropriate size for your water source first. After that, connect the filter to your water supply line and start the water flow. Third, make sure there are no leaks during filtering and that all connections are tight. Fourth, check that the filter is filtering enough chloramine from your water by adjusting the flow rate as necessary. Fifth, to keep the filter cartridge functioning properly, swap it out as needed. Enjoy clean, chloramine-free drinking water at last! You can use a chloramine filter to ensure that you and your family have access to clean drinking water by keeping these easy steps in mind.
Last update on 2023-12-03 at 10:08 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.