The debate between salt water and chlorine hot tubs goes on but the truth is that a high-quality salt water tub is a great solution for hot tub maintenance. Can any hot tub use salt water? Well these salt water hot tubs come with a salt water tub system that won’t let you down. We’ve picked the best and most efficient salt water tub options available today. See them below!
Saltwater treatment systems for hot tubs operate without the need for chlorine or other types of chemicals. They mount to the side of the hot tub and function by turning the sodium in your saltwater into chlorine as needed to cleanse the water.
Here are a few reasons why you might prefer this type of system:
- If you have sensitive skin, you’ll feel better using a hot tub with no chlorine in it.
- If you’re concerned about storing chemicals, you won’t have to do this anymore.
- It’s easier to set up and maintain this type of treatment system.
Of course, there are a lot of other reasons to give one of these treatment options a try. So let’s go shopping!
Our Choice Recommendation: ControlOMatic ChlorMaker Saltwater Chlorine Generation System
Keep your hot tub clean and clear with the ControlOmatic ChlorMaker Saltwater Chlorine Generation System . This little system is designed to work with hot tubs of up to 1000 gallons of capacity, so it’s great for smaller backyard hot tubs that need a little extra help keeping clean. Set it up in just a few short minutes and you can enjoy comfortably, without concern in a couple of days at most. This system is capable of lasting for about a year before it needs maintenance or upkeep.
- This choice is one of the more affordable saltwater systems available for hot tubs on the market today.
- This offer is capable of providing enough filtration and cleansing to handle just about any small backyard hot tub, regardless of how dirty it might be.
- You don’t have to worry about flushing and refilling your hot tub every time you perform maintenance on this offer or replace the salt cell.
- This is a smaller offer that is not capable of taking care of a larger hot tub or a swimming pool, even though it claims to be able to do this.
- If you keep this offer out in the rain without covering it, it may become damaged and may no longer do its job correctly.
- Many customers have reported this choice shutting down at seemingly random intervals for no obvious reason, even though it otherwise seems to working properly and isn’t damaged.
This mid-range ControlOMatic SmarterSpa Smart Chlorine Generation System is ready and waiting for you to discover just how well it can help you keep your hot tub clean! This choice is a high-quality saltwater filtration system that can process up to 30 grams of chlorine per day. Set it to one of ten power settings and you’ll enjoy a clean tub without having to worry about whether or not you’ve got complicated chemical levels and pH balances correct. This option is easy to maintain without requiring a lot of difficult cleaning or rebooting when the time comes to change the salt cell.
- This is a solid saltwater system to start with when you’re looking for something as a beginner to the world of saltwater hot tub treatments.
- This offer is a perfect size for just about any backyard hot tub regardless of its capacity, and it works great no matter how dirty the hot tub might be already.
- You avoid any harsh chemicals by using this great offer.
- This choice is not large enough to process a large swimming pool in most situations.
- This option cannot be left outdoors in very cold weather, so you’ll need to plan for weatherization by removing it and bringing it inside during the winter months.
- This saltwater system can be pricey to keep up with when it comes time to replace the salt cell.
The largest of the ControlOMatic line is the ControlOMatic MegaChlor CD Saltwater Smart Chlorine Generation System . This offer generates up to 100 grams of chlorine a day and can process up to 17,000 gallons, making it an excellent choice for hot tubs and swimming pools alike. This option can keep itself clean so you never have to worry about mineral buildup or about needing to descale or clean the product, and when the time comes to replace the salt cell about once per year, it’s a very quick and easy fix that only takes a few minutes to complete.
- This choice only takes a couple of days to clean and get it ready for use.
- Many customers enjoy the feeling of the saltwater treated by this system.
- It only takes a few minutes to perform maintenance on this system.
- Some customers have reported this option’s LED lights going out sooner than the rest of the product, making it hard to know what setting it’s on.
- Some customers have reported this saltwater system getting stuck on the highest setting and always generating far too much chlorine to be safe.
- Many customers have reported having trouble getting this system set up and running in the first place, although it’s fairly easy to maintain in the long run.
There are a lot of great products to pick from when you’re looking for a saltwater treatment system for your hot tub. But what if this isn’t the right type of system for your spa at all?
Here are some pros of using a choice like these above:
- You don’t have to use chemicals that can be harmful to you, your kids, or anyone else in your family.
- It’s cheaper to buy salt than it is to buy chlorine.
- This type of system doesn’t require a lot of maintenance over the years.
And here are some cons of using this type instead of a different cleansing option:
- Some hot tubs just won’t get clean enough with one of these systems.
- These systems can be tricky for the first time if you’ve never used one before.
- Saltwater systems cost more at the beginning to set up than chlorine or other systems do.
Despite the few downsides of a saltwater treatment system, they are a great way to get your hot tub clean without chemicals. Pick your favorite from the list above and see for yourself how great they can be!
5 Tips for Maintaining a Chlorinator
- Check the salt level in your pool regularly. The ideal range is between 3,000 and 4,000 parts per million (ppm).
- Clean the cell of your chlorinator every few months to ensure it is working properly. This can be done by using a special cleaning solution or by soaking it in vinegar.
- Make sure to check the pH levels of your pool water regularly. The ideal range is between 7. 2 and 7. 6.
- Replace the cell of your chlorinator every two to three years to ensure optimal performance.
- Keep an eye on the chlorine output of your chlorinator and adjust accordingly if needed.
ALSO: Consider investing in a salt water test kit to help you monitor the salt levels in your pool more accurately!
More Beneficial Info For Readers
These practical tools are a great way to maintain the cleanliness and health of your pool. They produce chlorine using salt, which is subsequently distributed around the pool. This reduces the need for harsh chemicals, making swimming safer and the environment friendlier. Because they don't need to be filled up or replaced as frequently as typical chlorine systems, these dependable solutions also require less maintenance. Additionally, since you won't need to purchase pricey chemical treatments every month, they can aid in long-term expense reduction. You can enjoy crystal-clear water with a salt water chlorinator for less money and with fewer difficulties.
Good Usage Ideas: What Can You Use Them For?
There are three main applications for these products. They are a good technique to sterilize the water in your pool, to start. The pool's chlorine solution is produced by adding salt, which is then pumped throughout the pool. By doing so, you may keep bacteria and other impurities out of the water and maintain it clean. Second, these technologies also assist in minimizing the time required for maintenance. You don't have to worry about manually adding chlorine or about having to buy and store a lot of chemicals because the chlorine is produced automatically. Finally, since you don't need to buy as many chemicals or pay for specialized services like shock treatments or filter cleaning, they also assist in lowering the costs involved with maintaining a pool. These dependable products are a great option for anyone looking for an effective and affordable approach to manage their swimming pool because they contain all these advantages.
The Downsides: What To Expect
There are a few disadvantages to take into account despite the many advantages of these useful products. They need a lot of maintenance and upkeep, to start with. To make sure it is operating properly, the chlorine generator needs to be cleaned and repaired on a regular basis. Additionally, for the system to operate at its best, the salt levels must be watched and modified as necessary. If done incorrectly, this can be time-consuming and costly. Fortunately, there are a few practical alternatives that might lessen these drawbacks. For instance, spending money on an automated system that checks the chlorine levels and makes the necessary adjustments can save maintenance costs and save time. Additionally, employing a pool cover when it's not in use will lower evaporation rates, assisting in maintaining ideal salt levels without as frequently adjusting them manually.
What Guidelines Should Be Used To Evaluate Them?
These useful items are judged and evaluated according to their effectiveness, affordability, toughness, and simplicity of installation. Cost-effectiveness is assessed by comparing the initial purchase price to the long-term savings in chemical costs. Durability is assessed by how well it withstands wear and tear over time. Ease of installation is assessed by how quickly and easily it can be set up. Efficiency is measured by the amount of chlorine produced per watt of energy consumed. When deciding if a salt water chlorinator is the best option for a specific application, all of these variables are crucial.
Firsthand Experience: What to Expect
These practical items are an excellent way to maintain the cleanliness and health of your pool. They create chlorine by electrolyzing salt, which is then discharged into the pool water. By doing away with manual chlorine addition, this procedure makes maintaining your pool simpler and more practical. The chlorinator also aids in reducing the skin dryness and eye irritation that might result from conventional chlorine treatments. Additionally, because they require less maintenance and consume less chemicals over time than other pool sanitization techniques, these dependable products are more cost-effective. A salt water chlorinator may give years of dependable service with little work on your side if it is installed correctly and maintained on a regular basis.
The typical procedures for employing these sorts of chlorinators are as follows: First, check that the pH and alkalinity levels in your pool are correctly balanced. The chlorinator should next be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Third, add salt to the chlorinator and turn it on. Fourth, make any adjustments to the settings to achieve the appropriate chlorine production. Fifth, make sure your chlorine levels are within a safe limit by checking frequently. Finally, take pleasure in swimming in clean, secure water! You can easily utilize a salt-water chlorinator to maintain the cleanliness and health of your pool if you bear these easy procedures in mind.
Last update on 2024-02-23 at 19:27 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
We constantly make an effort to implement our editorial practices and policies through out our site. This entails researching all of our articles exhaustively and always doing our best to offer the most reliable details possible for our audience. Please check out our About Us Page for more info.
About The Author
Joseph Bartley, also known as the WaterFilterFanatic, is a seasoned content writer who specializes in water filtration and water quality topics. On AllAboutWaterFilters, he has written a range of water filtration system reviews, water health and quality articles, swimming pool, hot tub and aquarium filtration guides, DIY methods to assist people clean their drinking water, and much more. Joseph enjoys spending his time working with the #AllAboutWaterFilters Editorial Team to provide some of the best quality water filtration content available on the web.