Portable purifiers like water purification tablets are a low-cost, compact, light-weight, and definitely a useful addition to your emergency supplies. After reviewing several options available on the market, we believe the Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets are the best choice for most outdoor situations, both for taste and convenience of use.
JUMP TO A SECTION:
Our Choice Recommendation
- Katadyn Micropur MP1 Water Purification Tablets Pack/30v
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to purify water for drinking on-the-go? Do you need a portable solution to keep your drinking water safe and potable on that next outdoor adventure? Are you wondering how these options can possibly save your life in an emergency situation? If you’ve ever asked any of these questions, then you’re in the RIGHT PLACE!
These point-of-use water treatment solutions are frequently used by people in all field activities who must get drinking water from untreated sources. They are extremely convenient since they can literally fit in your front pocket. They were mainly developed as military necessities that are incorporated in the soldier’s pocket on the canteen pouch, and serve as important elements to an individual first aid kit or group first aid kits and medical supplies that are usually allotted for army operations or disaster relief programs.
In the present time, water purification pills are commonly suggested for emergencies that involve treatment of water. They effectively kill micro-organisms to prevent most waterborne diseases and are perfectly accorded to be used by campers, backpackers and several other outdoor enthusiasts around the globe.
3 Options For Sale Online
Here is our recommendation of the most popular and effective options that you can purchase online. These are also known as water purifying tabs. Take a look at the reviews as well as the pros and cons, to find the one that will suit your needs the most.
Option #1. Potable Aqua Water Tablets
The Potable Aqua product can help to clean water from even the dirtiest and most questionable of sources, and make it suitable for drinking. You can use these offers to remove any traces of bacteria, virus, contaminants, sediments and even Giardia lamblia, which can lead to various digestive health issues. These choices are very easy to use, and once you pour the drops and stir the mix, you will get clean and purified drinking water within 35 minutes. You can use one bottle that comes with 50 tablets to purify up to 24 litres of water. You need to add 2 doses to 1 litre of water, close the cap loosely and wait for 5 minutes, then give it a stir and the water will be clean in 30 minutes. These options are mixed with the right amount of iodine to give you water that tastes fresh and will not have any weird taste or smell. These offers are meant to be use for a short-term or for an emergency basis, and should not be used as a long term solution or a continuous method to treat water and make it safe for drinking. These choices also help to keep your drinking water protected against any threat of recontamination in the container they are stored in. The best part is that these choices do not have any expiration date, which means that no matter when you buy them, you can continue using them as per your need.
- Cleans water from the dirtiest and most questionable of sources.
- Removes traces of bacteria, virus, contaminants, sediments and even Giardia lamblia.
- Very easy to use and gives you clean and purified drinking water within 35 minutes.
- 2 doses required to purify 1 litre of water.
- Mixed with the right amount of iodine to add a fresh taste to water.
- Protect against threat of recontamination in the container they are stored in.
- Do not have any expiration date.
- More doses are required to purify the water as compared to others.
Option #2. Micropur Tablets
The Micropur Tablets are extremely effective against all types of contaminants and microorganisms present. This choice also helps to remove cryptosporidium as well as virus, bacteria and giardia. You can choose from a pack of 20 or 30 doses and each tablet will help you get one litre of purified clean drinking water. Once the water is purified using these options, it will taste fresh and you will not get any strange odour or lingering after taste. These options from Micropur meet the EPA microbiological water purifier test standards which means they are absolutely safe to use, and the water that you will get after using these offers will be completely safe and hygienic to drink.
- Extremely effective against all types of contaminants and microorganisms.
- Helps to remove cryptosporidium as well as virus, bacteria and giardia.
- One tablet gives one litre of purified clean drinking water.
- Water will taste fresh with no strange odour or lingering after taste.
- Meets the EPA microbiological water purifier test standards.
- It is a seasonal product and may not be available throughout the year.
- The pricing for the product can vary a lot depending on the quantity and specific pack you want to go for.
The Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets work very effectively against any strains of bacteria, virus, giardia, crystospoidium or lamblia microorganisms that may be present. The water that you get after using these choices tastes fresh, and any unpleasant taste or odour is removed. You will be able to use 20 doses to treat about 19 litres of water. These offers contain chlorine dioxide, which is the only active ingredient approved by the EPA which has been proven to make the crystospoidium cysts inactive. To get the best results, it is recommended you wait for four hours after adding these options to the water.
- Effective against bacteria, virus, giardia, crystospoidium and lamblia microorganisms.
- Water will taste fresh.
- Removes unpleasant taste or odour.
- 20 doses treat about 19 litres of water.
- Have to wait for four hours for full effectiveness.
What exactly are water purifying tablets?
Water purifying tablets are small tablets that you can mix in dirty or contaminated water to purify it and make it fit for drinking.
- These are usually packaged in a small jar or bottle and are very compact. A lot of them can be used for as long as you need to, as they do not have an expiration date. These choices can be used to treat water from different sources such as a pond, river, tank or pipe. This offer will help you to purify the water and remove any contaminants and impurities, making it fit for drinking.
- Some of these offers also contain iodine which neutralizes smell or taste and makes the clean water taste fresh.
- These options can effectively kill a host of germs and contaminants present and protect you against water borne diseases. As these are mostly very cost effective and portable you can easily carry them with you whenever you are traveling. To use it effectively, you just need to mix these choices in and let it wait for about 30 minutes so that the water is completely fit for drinking.
How do they work?
To use these options, here is what you need to do:
- Open the bottle when you want to treat the water for drinking.
- Check the brand specifications to learn how much quantity is required to treat a specific amount of water.
- Add the required number of doses in the amount of water mentioned.
- Stir the water properly so that these offers get dissolved evenly.
- Let the water sit for some time, as recommended on the package.
- Pour the purified water in a clean container and drink it without any worry.
Different Types of Water Purification Tablets
The leading chemical ingredients in these choices are iodine, chlorine and chlorine dioxide. These chemicals swiftly exterminate parasites, viruses and bacteria that are found in contaminated water. Iodine and chlorine are very good in eradicating the giardia lamblia–parasite that inhabits and breeds in the small intestine. However, they cannot remove the cryptosporidium–a parasite that produces gastrointestinal indications and is contaminated and passed in the feces–from the source of water. On the other hand, chlorine dioxide is very efficient against viruses, bacteria and cysts even cryptosporidium.
If you are using iodine products for water purification , you have to be cautious of the water’s temperature that you want to purify. You need no less than 30 minutes of purification if the polluted water has a temperature of about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you need no less than an hour of purification if the polluted water has a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Understandably, cooler water needs to be purified longer than warmer water. Iodine tablet for potable drinking water can produce a different flavor in the tongue. So, if you are consuming this option, you can put iodine neutralizer products to counterbalance the iodine’s taste. Iodine products can only be used by people with a standard thyroid function for a short period of time, approximately six weeks at maximum. Remember not to use iodine products if you already have thyroid complications, iodine sensitivity or when you are expecting a baby.
The most extensively used chemical ingredient in purifying pill is chlorine. Chlorine products are the swiftest pills to make the water decontaminated. However, one downside in the usage of chlorine is that the water that is treated with it will become inevitably contaminated again in the course of an elongated storage. Chlorine products for potable drinking water can have a different taste and in order to eliminate the chlorine flavor, one has to permit the preserved drinking water to sit unprotected. This option permits the chlorine to evaporate without problems.
On the other hand, the most efficient chemical ingredient in some of these options is chlorine dioxide because it exterminates an extensive collection of microorganisms. Chlorine dioxide products work via oxidation and infiltrate the microorganism’s cell walls and then respond with vigorous amino acids in the cell’s cytoplasm to destroy the microorganism. However, one disadvantage of the usage of chlorine dioxide is that it takes longer to purify the contaminated water than iodine or chlorine. Chlorine dioxide based tablet requires a 4-hour treatment period before it takes effect. Note that these offers that hold chlorine dioxide only create chlorine dioxide when they come into interaction with moisture or water. When these choices are wrapped in a strong package they can be stored for years and can immediately be used when needed.
These offers are a great water purifying solution. They have plenty of advantages that make them extremely practical in certain situations, and we’ve listed some of them below:
- These choices are lightweight and are effortless to carry in the bag.
- If the purification pills are stored correctly, it can be used as purifiers for several years thus saving few dollars along the way.
- There is no need for any special tool for the usage of the purification tablet as it only needs a container to purify the water.
- Fuel, electricity or fire is not necessary to successfully use the pills.
Water Purification Tablet Uses
A water purification tablet is typically used by outdoor aficionados because when used correctly, they can shield against a horde of viruses and bacteria. Also, a purification tablet is incredibly lightweight and takes up practically no space at all, and this is perfect for most outdoor travelling situations. In addition to being a dependable primary technique of water purification in the course of outdoor activities, these options are also an outstanding and inexpensive secondary option to bulkier water filters or portable purification systems.
Out of Country Travel
Note that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention relates that between 30% and 70% of international tourists suffer from some form of diarrhea. That is why these offers are widely used by travelers around the world because it can purify water and make it safe for drinking. In fact, the most widespread causes of waterborne diarrhea are bacteria, such as E. coli, salmonella and cholera, which are excellently reduced or eradicated by water purification pills.
Emergency Disaster Relief Operations
Drinking water is very important especially during emergencies. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency a fully-grown person needs at least half-gallon of water per day just for intake. A person can go for more than 21 days without food intake, but one can only survive for 100 hours without drinking water.
Water purification tablet are universally used by most security and peace keeping forces because these choices provide practical solutions to the ongoing problem of purifying drinking water in the field. They’re easy to carry and won’t hamper a soldiers ability to engage in other activities. In a relief operation where quick and easy portability is a must, these options are a great solution and allow military operations to have access to potable water wherever they are.
Dangers To Keep In Mind
Ok, it can’t be ALL good, right? Well, it isn’t. There are a few dangers and disadvantages associated with these offers. Here are some notable ones listed below:
- On a lengthy period, regular use of these choices may disturb your health, and if you have thyroid complications and you are using iodine based products, it can lead to autoimmune thyroiditis and hypothyroidism.
- Some of these options can also be a reason for allergy outbreak and can be harmful to pregnant women.
- These options do not actually eliminate the stinks and tastes, in reality, it may even contribute to the bitter taste of the water.
- There are no circulated tests that can specify the quality of drinking water after using these pills.
- It is not possible for these offers to eliminate residue or chemical impurities. One needs extra time and a weightier concentration of chemicals to eliminate chemical impurities and most of the residue can be eradicated through filtering the water prior to using these choices.
- If these options are not stored correctly they can lose their usefulness. Therefore, in order to catch the best out of these offers and in order to use them securely always read the producer’s information and follow the usage directions exactly.
These offers usually have a five-year shelf life. So that these choices can be preserved and not lose their effectiveness, all of these options should be secured from exposure to extreme temperatures, high humidity, air and moisture. It is recommended that once opened the bottle cap must be tightly sealed and should not be kept for more than a year in order to maximize the efficiency.
Saving Lives… One Tablet At A Time
No matter how you look at it, these offers are a great solution for potable water on-the-go, no matter where you are. They’re hard to beat as far as convenience is concerned and they will certainly be a staple addition to any traveler’s list of essentials for a long time to come. If you think these would be a great addition to your own backpack, don’t hesitate to give them a go!
5 Essential Tips for Using Disinfectant Tablets
- Always read the instructions on the packaging before using purification tablets.
- Make sure to use the correct dosage of tablets for the amount of water you are purifying.
- Allow enough time for the tablets to dissolve and take effect before drinking or using the water.
- Store your tablets in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- If you are unsure about how to use these tablets, consult an expert or research online.
ALSO: Consider investing in a portable water filter if you plan on travelling with purified water!
Additional Helpful Info For Readers
These items are a necessity for everyone who wants to ensure that their drinking water is clean and safe. They are simple to use, lightweight, and durable enough to be stored for extended periods of time. You may quickly transform any source of problematic water into clean, drinkable water with just a few tablets. They not only give you piece of mind regarding your health and safety, but they also save you money by removing the need to purchase expensive filtration systems or bottled water. They are an excellent way to guarantee that, wherever you go, you will always have access to safe drinking water!
Usage Ideas: What Are They Effective for?
Three main uses for these tablets are as follows: first, they are a reliable way to filter water from natural sources including rivers, lakes, and streams. By eliminating dangerous germs and other pollutants that can hurt you, this is accomplished. They can also be used to reduce the amount of chlorine in your drinking water, which is their second use. Even if there are no harmful bacteria in your water, filtering them out improves drinking safety. By eliminating offensive smells and aromas, these tablets can also be used to enhance the taste of the water you drink. When you're backpacking or camping outside, improving the taste of your drinking water will definitely help you keep more hydrated. Wherever your activities take you, using a tablet for purification is a terrific way to ensure that you'll always have access to delicious, pure drinking water.
The Negatives: What To Watch Out For
Despite the many advantages of these trustworthy items, there are a few disadvantages to take into account. In the beginning, it may take these tablets up to four hours to completely dissolve and filter the water. This suggests that this might not be the ideal choice for you if you need clean drinking water immediately or are in a rush. Due to their chemical makeup, these tablets might also leave a bad taste in your mouth. Fortunately, it is possible to lessen both of these drawbacks. For instance, rather than solely depending on pills, you could employ a filter-based system if you needed filtered water rapidly. A few drops of lemon juice or other flavorings can also be added to help cover up the taste that the tablet's chemicals leave behind. In the end, it's critical to balance all the benefits and drawbacks before selecting the approach that will best meet your needs for cleaning your drinking water.
What Considerations Should Be Used To Evaluate Them?
Effectiveness, cost-efficiency, and convenience are the most important quantitative measurements when it comes to these trustworthy items. These tablets' efficacy is assessed based on their capacity to eliminate bacteria, viruses, and other impurities from water sources. The cost of the tablets is compared to how much water they can cleanse to evaluate how cost-effective they are. How quickly and easily the tablets can be used in any setting is how convenience is measured. Overall, these three areas offer a thorough analysis of how these dependable items compare to their rivals.
Basic User Experience: What You Should Know
Making water drinkable is easy and effective with these trustworthy products. They have chlorine or iodine in them, which destroys bacteria and other pathogenic microbes. These tablets can make even the most contaminated water safe to drink when used properly. The kind of tablet being used and the caliber of the water being treated determine how long it takes for the tablet to start working. In general, a chlorine-based tablet takes about 30 minutes to act in clear water, whereas an iodine-based tablet could take up to four hours to work in murky or foggy water. When utilizing these pills, it's crucial to carefully follow all directions because if not taken correctly, they can be hazardous. It is important to speak with a doctor before using iodine-based tablets because some people may have negative side effects from doing so.
The general procedures for utilizing these pills are as follows: Make sure your tablet is the appropriate one for your needs first. Different types of water contamination removal pills are available. Before using the tablets, carefully read the directions. Third, dispense the prescribed number of pills into your water source and stir. Fourth, give the water the appropriate amount of time to sit before drinking or utilizing it. Fifth, use a test kit to analyze a sample of the water to ensure that all of the toxins have been eliminated. Enjoy safe drinking water at last! You may use purification tablets to ensure safe drinking water wherever you are by following these easy instructions.
Last update on 2024-02-23 at 21:29 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
We constantly make an effort to implement our editorial practices and policies through out our site. This entails researching all of our articles exhaustively and always doing our best to offer the most reliable details possible for our audience. Please check out our About Us Page for more info.
About The Author
Sharyn Baker is the resident editorial assistant for AllAboutWaterFilters and regularly provides articles specializing in off-grid water filtration, outdoor survival, and water treatment in the wild. She has previously worked as an editing assistant and a product review content creation assistant, primarily focusing on outdoor survival preparedness. She enjoys producing her own off-grid water filtration safety guides for her other blogs in addition to her work on the AllAboutWaterFilters editorial team.